Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Devouring

The Devouring by Simon Holt

(September 1st 2008)

Grade: 3 stars out of 5

From inside cover: “When Reggie reads about the Vours in a mysterious old journal, she assumes they are just the musings of an anonymous lunatic. But when her little brother, Henry, begins to act strangely, it's clear that these creatures exist beyond a madwoman's imagination, and Reggie finds out what happens when fears come to life.

To save the people she loves, Reggie must learn to survive in a world of nightmares. Can she devour her own fears before they devour her?”

Review: Engrossing and cultivating, this book had me sitting up straighter and opening my eyes wider from page to page. One moment it’s 4pm and the next it’s 6pm and I’m two thirds done the book, and I’m thinking to myself where did all the time fly?

This book was truly thrilling. It had all the needed scare factors—spiders, fear of drowning, of being lost and forgotten, clowns, even vampire babies that suck and drink from your ankle! The scenes were so well described and detailed it actually brought out the fear in me, granted I’m a person that can be easily scared, but still! The factors may be cliché and it may have been overdone but once you start reading you’ll see how Simon used these fears completely differently from what I’ve seen or read.

I also love the alternating point of views toward the end. It added to the scare/suspicion factor to the book. Nice touch, of course it had me turning the page faster and faster.

Since it is supposedly a series, expect to be left with a lot of open ended questions. I’m going to be quite lenient on the issues for this book for now but we’ll see how it turns out for the next book.

One of my favorite lines from the book was, ‘“You’re…a cancer,”…“No. Fear is the cancer. We are the cure.”’

"When dark creeps in and eats the light,
Bury your fears on Sorry Night.
For in the winter's blackest hours,
Comes the feasting of the Vours,
No one can see it, the life they stole,
Your body's here but not your soul..."

Overall: Quite an enjoyable read if you’re looking into some horror stories, trust me you won’t be disappointed. Here’s a little warning though, don’t read it on Christmas or the nights before Christmas like I had, really bad coincidence.

Cover B-

I also found the UK cover for this book. Which do you prefer, The American or UK?

3 comments:

  1. ew I don't like to UK one. Way too gory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahaha it is isn't it? I think my friend would love this cover though XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess what!? You are a winner in the contest I held!!

    You can see all the details here:

    http://lisa-schroeder.livejournal.com/243741.html

    Congrats and happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete