Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

In Your Room/Saving Zoë

Because my brain hurts, I present mini-reviews! Oh and make that 9 books I've read these past few days!

In Your Room
by Jordanna Fraiberg (October 16th, 2008)

Grade: 1.9 stars out of 5

Summary: “Molly and Charlie have fallen head over heels in love—even though they’ve never met Molly is a fashion-conscious city girl in L.A. Charlie is an earthy, mountain-biking dude from Boulder, Colorado. Each of them has big plans with their respective friends for the summer—until they discover that their parents decided to swap houses!

Luckily there’s no amount of homesickness that a bit of snooping can’t cure. Charlie and Molly begin crawling under beds and poking around in closets to find out a little more about each other and they like what they find.

Can Charlie and Molly’s long-distance romance survive jealousy, misunderstandings and the thousand miles between them?"

Overall: I did enjoy this book, but it wasn’t something truly AMAZING! to me. I loved how Charlie’s parents are lesbian—a very nice surprise since as how I haven’t seen this done before. I liked the way the author incorporated modern things like Facebook and such into the novel. I thought the alternating points of views and chapters were a nice way to showcase both of their personalities and traits, especially since it gives the readers a positive message about spending some time outdoors and going biking.

What I would’ve liked was a bit more pages for the resolution between the fight with Molly and Charlie. Thought it was over too fast. A very quick summer read.

Cover C-
Something about this cover throws me off a little. Maybe it’s the angle where the photograph was shot, or the color of the rug.

Saving Zoe by Alyson Noel (September 4th 2007)

Grade: 3.7 stars out of 5

Summary: “In Alyson Noël's newest teen novel, one sister's secrets save the other's life--in more ways than one. Meet fifteen-year-old Echo, a typical teen trying to survive high school without being totally traumatized by boy trouble, friend drama, and school issues. As if she didn't have enough on her plate, Echo is also still dealing with the murder of her sister Zoë. Although it's been over a year, Echo is still reeling from tragedy that changed everything. Beautiful and full of life, Zoë was the glue that held her family together, and although the two sisters were as different as night and day, they still had a bond that Echo can't let go of. When Zoë's old boyfriend Marc shows up one day with Zoë's diary, Echo doesn't think there's anything in there she doesn't already know. But as she gives in to curiosity and starts reading, she learns that her sister led a secret life that no one could have guessed--not even Echo.”

Overall: Ms. Noel has redeemed herself to me! After the initial read of Cruel Summer, I was very hesitant about reading some of her other books, but I do stand corrected. She is a phenomenal writer! I love the way how the emotions build and build until it finally collapses and you’re left with a completed feeling. I loved Echo and Zoë (even their names!). How you can relate and understand them even Zoë which you only catch glimpses of from her diary. I adore the ending, very cute and symbolic. My only problem of the novel was how it never did truly explain Zoë’s death.

Cover C: Not really understanding the whole purpose of the three girls on the cover. I’m assuming that they are Echo and her best friends, but they don’t play a huge significance in the book except for Echo.

I hope you love this novel as much as I do Sharon! I'm seriously considering taking it back once you've finished though, it's that good! But I won't because that'll be mean :]

I might plan on extending both of these reviews but for now, I can't come up with enough points.

3 comments:

  1. In your room looks pretty good! :)

    By the way would you like to do a link exchange?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed In Your Room!

    Would you like to do a link exchange?
    Hope you check out my blogs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi guys so happy to be between you yayaay love the blog soo much ^^

    ReplyDelete