Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

What Would Emma Do?

What Would Emma Do? by Eileen Cook (January 6th 2009)

Grade: 2 stars out of 5

Summary: “There is no greater sin than kissing your best friend’s boyfriend. So when Emma breaks that golden rule, she knows she’s messed up big-time. Especially since she lives in the smallest town ever, where everyone knows everything about everyone else…and especially since she maybe kinda wants to do it again. Now her best friend isn’t speaking to her, her best guy friend is making things totally weird, and Emma is running full speed toward social disaster. This is so not the way senior year was supposed to go.

Time to pray for a minor miracle. Or maybe, just maybe, it’s time for Emma to stop trying to please everyone around her, and figure out what she wants for herself."

Review: ‘lo and behold, another oddball review. It seems that today is a weird day; a book that I was supposed to hate turned out pretty good and a book that I was supposed to love, disappointed.

Like I previously stated What Would Emma Do? was a huge disappointment on my end. The pace to the book went from super fast to a sudden pedestrian walk and speed right up again.

I thought that the relationship between Emma and Todd started off like a big bang that never fully developed, a deep conversation, a sudden kiss, and then poof we don’t see him much ever again. The relationship between Colin, her best friend’s boyfriend, wasn’t there at all as well. There were some scenes with them but this confused me. Wasn’t the summary and cover mainly focused on them? When I first picked the book up, I imagined that What Would Emma Do? would be about her best friends, both male and female, and the path to healing or breaking the ties. Boy was I wrong.

It’s basically like the tale of Emma’s life. Her struggles, her hopes, her friends, and her religion. With the many stubborn, and some crazy stupid, members to the church I found my self annoyed about the majority of the time I read this book.

Also about a quarter way through this book, I felt that I read something very much similar to this. And then it hit me, The Crucible by Arthur Miller. After reading some other people’s review, I found that some had also discovered this connection.

Overall: N/A except that it was a huge disappointment.

Cover C+

10 comments:

  1. I really liked this one. I never read The Crucible so maybe that is why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover is cute, but I think I'd rather just read The Crucible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well the author did get the idea for the book from The Crucible so maybe that's why there were similarities.

    I think I'll still try to read this book, but I'll have (way) lower expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, that was an awkwardly phrased question. Perhaps what I meant was, high school? College? Post-college? xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Carol, I didn't know that. Wow, then kudos for Eileen :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really? I LOVED this book and thought it was so much smarter than just a girl-kisses-the-wrong-boy story. I loved all the unexpected and quirky places it went. Plus it made me laugh. Always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hm...interesting review. Curious to see how this is tied to The Crucible since I can't imagine any witch hunt going on in What Would Emma Do?

    cecilia

    ReplyDelete