Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Along for the Ride

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen (June 11th 2009—Viking)

Grade: 4 stars out of 5

Summary: “It’s been so long since Auden slept at night. Ever since her parents’ divorce—or since the fighting started. Now she has the chance to spend a carefree summer with her dad and his new family in the charming beach town where they live.

A job in a clothes boutique introduces Auden to the world of girls: their talk, their friendship, their crushes. She missed out on all that, too busy being the perfect daughter to her demanding mother. Then she meets Eli, an intriguing loner and a fellow insomniac who becomes her guide to the nocturnal world of the town. Together they embark on parallel quests: for Auden, to experience the carefree teenage life she’s been denied; for Eli, to come to terms with the guilt he feels for the death of a friend.”

Review: Sarah Dessen has made a name for herself in this tough industry, so it was no wonder that Along for the Ride would be an enjoyable read. But to what extent can Ms. Dessen bring something new to the table?

It was of no doubt that Along for the Ride was a wonderful story of love and triumph. Auden faces the pressure of her mother and the selfishness of her father forcing her to become a social failure. Trapped to the confines of the books and studies, Auden has never actually had a childhood, bowling, food fights, or even learning to ride a bike. That is where Eli comes in. Eli, with his troubled past and distant take on life, he might be the one to show what Auden has been missing all this time. Together they embark on a quest to what may be love?

There always seem to be family troubles in young adult books nowadays. Along for the Ride was no different.

Overall: Along for the Ride will be on my bookshelf because I greatly enjoy. New fans of Sarah Dessen will fall in love immediately but returning fans will be somewhat disappointed with the same ol’ same ol’ material. If this had been my first Sarah Dessen the grade would have been much, much, higher.

Cover A-
This is actually one of the more favorites of the Sarah Dessen books. Great summer colors, fresh and bright.

6 comments:

  1. I'm still tremendously looking forward to reading this book. It's a shame that it didn't come out in paperback first . . . Thank-you for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to reading this & love the cover. Thanks, Yan, for your terrific interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only read one book by SD, so I hope I won't be disappointed or anything. This book sounds great and it looks cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review, I was debating if I should buy this or not. Only read Dessen other book, Keeping the Moon, which I dislike very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book and Diana, totally read Along for the Ride or even better, The Truth About Forever/This Lullaby. Keeping the Moon is my least favourite as well so I get the hesitation. But, her other books are a lot better. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that you bring this up - the lack of, don't hate me, but originality in young adult literature is terrifying to me. It seems most young adult literature is about a sheltered girl with a less than perfect family who finds comfort and freedom with a guy with a bit of a shady past. I will, of course, still read the book - but I'm ready for some new author to up the ante a little.

    Thank you for the honest review - this is sometimes hard to get from people because of the fear of upsetting someone.

    Reagan

    ReplyDelete