Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Traveling to Teens: Cyn Balog

Cyn Balog is a normal, everyday Jersey Girl who always believed magical things can happen to us when we least expect them. She’s also the Race & Event Manager for several national fitness magazines. She lives outside Allentown, Pennsylvania with her husband and young daughter. Both are 100% human, or so she thinks. FAIRY TALE is her first novel.

You can find Cyn here
Why team Fairy? Why not team Zombie?
Well, personally, I am a HUGE fan of zombies. I have actually written a few zombie stories in my time, and LOVE zombie movies with a passion. Plus let's not forget the month I spent doing nothing but trying to beat Resident Evil 2 on Playstation. I am obsessed with them! But if I were alone in a dark alley I'd probably rather meet a fairy. Especially my kind of fairies. They're nice, for the most part, and don't seem interested in eating you.

Do you believe in fairies?
Not really, I am not a serious study into the fairy lore, as any reader of my book can tell you. There are writers out there who study fairy lore like it's this perfect science. They may read Fairy Tale and say, "How dare she! That's not true of fairies!" But I recognize that all fairy lore is fiction, and fiction can be massaged in whatever way to fit your story.

Why a fairy King?
Because the fairy princess thing is pretty overdone-- there are countless books out there about a girl who learns she is a fairy, and how dull is that? Of course she'd be the envy of all her friends. If a guy found out he was a fairy, especially if he was the macho, football-playing type, that's something he'd probably want to hide, especially since modern, popular Disney lore teaches us that fairies are dainty, cute characters, who paint rainbows and ladybugs to prepare for Spring.

Why use a fortune cookie and not a heart shaped pendant?
It kind of fit in there really well. The whole theme of Fairy Tale is about how our fortunes are never set, even when we're 100% sure how they will turn out. Morgan is a psychic and should be able to predict how her life will be, but she can't. That's the great thing about fortunes in fortune cookies; they reveal a slice of the future, what the future could be... but they don't lay everything out for you. I just got a fortune that said, "It's very possible you will achieve great success in your lifetime." And I love that because it says, "it is possible," not "it will happen." YOU make your own future. Nothing but the past is ever written in stone.

Who do you prefer, Cam or Pip?
I love them both, but probably Pip, because he is the underdog. He had a difficult upbringing, he's selfless and humble, and so I think girls can't help but want to take care of him. Cam is the golden boy. He got to rule on Earth and he gets the chance to rule in Otherworld... he's adored by everyone in both worlds so I don't think he needs my adoration.
This has been a production of Traveling to Teens.

2 comments:

  1. For you :}
    http://thebookresort.blogspot.com/2009/06/thank-you-briana.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a fortune cookie necklace, I think they're absolutely adorable.

    ReplyDelete