Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Body at the Tower

The Body at the Tower (The Agency) by Y.S. Lee

Source: ARC from Carol

Grade: 3.7 stars out of 5
Mary has a new mission: she must solve the mystery behind the suspicious death at St. Stephen's Tower. Her disguise: a young boy of age 13 working at the construction site. But this character that Mary will play will hit home hard for before Mary joined Academy for Girls—a school to train private eyes—she was forced to live on the streets and pretending to be a young boy than a girl just betters her chances of not getting rape. There is no time to relax for Mary must keep her guard up amongst all these men as well as rooming with one. But James is back from India and there to push her buttons.
If you really liked the first installment to this series you will love this sequel. The Body at the Tower is well paced with enough scheming characters that it’s hard to pin-point the exact culprit. There is also more Mary and James love! (Fun, fun read.) Y.S. Lee writes like a true mystery writer with details that cover all 5 senses and descriptive words that the reader is right there where the action is.

The Body at the Tower delivered as an emotional read as well as we learn more about Mary. From childhood struggles to an ethnicity that she is forced to hide, Lee writes a stunning novel. Yet I will say this again and again, my reading taste differs from others so while I thought The Body at the Tower was good, it was not superb. I lack that connection that other readers managed to find and frankly I think it’s all me and not the novel’s fault.

Cover B+

The Body at the Tower is out now: Amazon / Indie Bound / Book Depository

4 comments:

  1. are these books like the Enola Holmes books?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, umm I'm not really sure. I haven't read those books :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a nice review.

    I'm fairly certain my wife will enjoy this series and I think I might like it as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to starting this series, glad you think this was a decent addition!

    ReplyDelete