Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Monday, August 16, 2010

Manga Monday: Charming Junkie


Charming Junkie by Fukuyama Ryoko

Other Title: Nosatsu Junkie
Genre: Shoujo, Romance, Drama, Comedy, Gender Bender
Art: 4 stars
Plot: 3 stars
Characters: 2.8 stars
Serialized: TokyoPop

So Krystle (need_tea) recommended that I read Cat Street, which after skimming the first volume I realized that I read partial of it before. (Hmm, when did that happen?) But before I began volume 2 I stumbled across Charming Junkie, which grabbed my attention. Undivided attention. Like reading 10 volumes in two sittings and Oh. My. God. I needed more after that. It was like my crack. Addiction I tell ya!

Now that I'm hyper, Charming Junkie is like the combination of The One and Skip Beat except geared to a much younger audience. Everything is "cute" and slightly undeveloped. So after Naka is rejected by her crush because her smile isn't pretty, she turns to modeling to prove him wrong. There she bumps into Umi, one of the most popular female models currently. Turns out she is a he and Umi is cross-dressing as a girl. To keep her secret, Umi gets Naka a modeling job, working with her.

Firstly, Umi and Naka are both 3rd year middle school students which is like freshmen in high school in America I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), making them about 14. Secondly, the mangaka, Ryoko, art style makes it possible to distinguish female Umi and male Umi, which is thank goodness because it would be so awkward if it didn't. Thirdly, the plot is very straight-forward so there is nothing overly complicated about this series. Fourthly, the ending = awh ♥

Nosatsu Junkie Volume 1 /Volume 2 / Volume 3 / Volume 4 /  Volume 5 / Volume 6

1 comment:

  1. I was going to read this one. It turned up on my recommended lists. ^^;;. Maybe I'll check it out now.

    ReplyDelete