Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Fallen Angel (semi-rant)

Fallen Angel by Heather Terrell

Grade: 1 star out of 5
Heaven-sent?


Ellie was never particularly good at talking to boys—or anyone other than her best friend and fellow outcast, Ruth. Then she met Michael.


Michael is handsome, charming, sweet. And totally into Ellie. It’s no wonder she is instantly drawn to him. But Michael has a secret. And he knows Ellie is hiding something, too. They’ve both discovered they have powers beyond their imagining. Powers that are otherworldly.


Ellie and Michael are determined to uncover what they are, and how they got this way . . . together. But the truth has repercussions neither could have imagined. Soon they find themselves center stage in an ancient conflict that threatens to destroy everything they love. And it is no longer clear whether Ellie and Michael will choose the same side.
To sum up my opinion on Fallen Angel: did not like; will not touch sequel; probably won’t read any paranormal books by Terrell.

Novels like Fallen Angel make me dislike the paranormal genre. What once was so original has become this washed-out cliché garbled mess. Try as I might, I can’t completely shy away from fantastical elements. They are what take me to a new place and yet I seem to be going to the same place over and over again with overly hyped “pretty cover” books.

The love connection between Michael and Ellie was strenuous at best with no backbone to the story. Or maybe it had a backbone like a jellyfish. Either way I didn’t buy the little melodramatic tête-à-tête.

A big detail that sets Fallen Angel apart from other “angel” books is that whenever they kiss Michael and Elli always have to suck on each other’s blood. It’s an addiction. A really sick, why!?, addiction. An addiction that I wasn’t too fond of because there’s nothing more fun then reading about two people  tongue wrestling and slurping down each other’s blood. A little pain with pleasure please. Everyone’s a masochist. Or would it be a sadist?

Of course Michael and Ellie believe they’re vampires because they drink blood (and can see things when they do), have really sharp teeth, and can fly. When really the title is “Fallen Angels” so it’s sort of a WTF moment. The title is ONE BIG spoiler that readers can’t avoid. Oh and the idea of them being vampires goes on for about half the book. (Or a bit more, I don’t know since I no longer have the book.) Until the parents set them straight with a tale that’s decent. I believed it. I didn’t believe what Ellie does after it.

The rising climax was well done but the actual climax was lack luster.

Anyway I’m done. Ish.

Source: from me, myself, and I 
Cover B-
Published: 2011, January 1

7 comments:

  1. Ew, I've heard the worst thing about this book. I don't know why but for some reason nobody can write a good book on angels for some reason. Maybe you liked some of them that have come out, but me? No... not at all. They're always the dumbest characters (Halo, Fallen). I still have to read Unearthly, but I've been postponing it. I'm not sure why authors think that giving us dumb characters and then thinking readers dumb enough to not pick up on what's going on or subject us to crap is okay. It's not. I loved your review and I will *NOT* be going anywhere near this nastiness...er, book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your honest review. It's frustrating when a book sounds good, and then just doesn't deliver.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review. I hadn't heard much about this one, but it blows that the title is a spoiler in and of itself. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the cover is pretty, but its sad that you dislike it. But I know what you mean. Sometimes I have the same feeling, when I´m reading a book, that gives not much sense or even makes questions up in my mind, that were not answered at the and.
    ´Never judge a book by its cover`
    Thats definitly true

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch! This review hurts! But, I appreciate your honesty. If every book review was "glowing" I wouldn't really be getting a lot out of reading them.

    As for angel book I've only read one UnEarthly . I LOVED it! So much mystery around it, so many questions of what will happen next, characters which I felt I could relate to and a story line which was totally unique. Don't give up on angel books until you've at least tried this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! This book was horrible. I didn't get the who Ellie/Michael romance. When he shows up he's just creepy, stalkerish and she falls for him? WTF. If I had a guy stalking me like that I'd be calling the cops, not falling in love with him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I second the recommendation of Unearthly by Cynthia Hand. It's worth reading.

    ReplyDelete