Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Q&A + Contest with Cate Lord: Makeup, London, Oh My!

Welcome to part of Cate Lord's LUCKY GIRL tour! You can connect with Cate: Facebook / Goodreads / CateLord.com!

Get your copy of Lucky Girl at: Amazon | Amazon UK & Books On Board.


Jessica Devlin isn't looking for love. Heartbroken after being dumped by her unfaithful ex-fiancé, she's determined to have a fabulous time during her vacation in England where she ll be maid-of-honor at her cousin s wedding. After working overtime as beauty editor of Orlando's O Tart magazine, avoiding dating, and putting on ten pounds, Jess is ready to toss her past like an empty lipstick tube and party like a single gal.

But when she steps into the church on her cousin s wedding day, she sees the one man who could sabotage her plan James-Bond-gorgeous Nick Mondinello. She s never forgotten the London marketing exec who held her in his arms after her beloved grandfather s funeral two years ago. Ambitious, and lusted after by women everywhere, Nick is completely wrong for guarded, Plain Jane Jess.

Could Spy Man Nick ever fall for her? Nope. Not unless Jess is one lucky girl.



Read an excerpt! This one or this one




1. What is your and Jessica's must have makeup?
Lip color!  Lip gloss, lipstick, tinted lip balm...  We love them all, because they can transform us from a Plain Jane to a Sultry Siren in less than ten seconds. I had a lot of fun inventing names for the lipsticks Jess wears in Lucky Girl, including Butt Naked Beige, Good Girl Pink, and Vixen.
2. What is the reasoning behind writing under another name when penning Lucky Girl?
I decided to write Lucky Girl using the pseudonym Cate Lord because the book is very different in style and tone to my medieval historical romances.  Readers buying a Cate Lord novel are going to get a light-hearted, funny, sexy romantic comedy, whereas a Catherine Kean book is dramatic, emotional, and enriched with historical detail.
3. Do you incorporate your old job as an antique and fine art appraiser into your novels?
Not in my books that are available to purchase now.  However, one of my works-in-progress is a contemporary paranormal about an antiques dealer.
4. Your time abroad in England sounds like a fabulous year! What was your favorite thing about London and have you ever been back?
Yes, my year abroad was incredible.  Lots of good memories.  My favorite thing was all of the cultural sites to be discovered just by walking the London streets: museums, galleries, important historical buildings.  Since my husband is British, I’ve been back to London several times on vacations, and have loved each visit.
5. Was your time in England the inspiration for Lucky Girl since you met your husband there?
Yes! While Lucky Girl is entirely a work of fiction, I very loosely based Jess’s story on my time in England when I was single, recovering from a breakup, and eager to enjoy my year overseas.  One of the highlights of that year was meeting a tall, dark-haired, charming Brit at a Christmas party.  He later became my husband.  We recently celebrated our nineteenth anniversary and have a teenage daughter, and our love is still going strong.  I consider myself to be a lucky girl.
6. Do you ever look back at your old manuscripts and rework them?
Sometimes.  It depends on the story.  Usually, I pull out the elements of the book that I think are the strongest and then start afresh, because it’s easier in the end.
7. Do you write your novels with a pen and paper or do you type them on computers?
I do both.  I love writing longhand on paper.  The words seem to flow more easily, for some reason—maybe because this is how I wrote as a teenager and there’s a sense of freedom to crafting a story this way?  I carry a lined notebook in my purse at all times, and if I’m waiting for my daughter at an appointment or find I have a few minutes to spare, I will take out my mechanical pencil and write.  Later, I type what I’ve written into my manuscript file on my computer.

When I work at home, I set my netbook up on my dining room table and work on that.  My kitty usually snoozes in his bed beside me.  I try to write 2-3 solid pages per day, if my muse cooperates.
8. Do you feel that you were born in the wrong time period? If so, what time period would you have wished to be born? And what old fads do you want to bring back?
Great question! I’d love to have been born into aristocracy in the Victorian era.  That was a time of tremendous change and invention, and I love Victorian antiques.  Old fads I’d want to bring back?  Daily afternoon tea with scones, clotted cream, jam, cakes, biscuits, and other delicious treats.  Yum!

Ready? Entangled Publishing has offered to give away one e-book of Lucky Girl! It's open internationally to really anyone who has an email address! We're going to keep this short and simple guys so comment below with your email address.

Extra entries: connect with Cate through one of those links above. Give me a link or your name so I can identify you.

Contest ends: September 10th!

9 comments:

  1. This book sounds so cute! (extemter at hotmail dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, thank you! I'm glad you think LUCKY GIRL sounds cute. It was a lot of fun to write. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a lipstick girl, too. Well, actually I love all makeup, but lipstick is the shiznit. Congrats on the release. I'm so going to read as soon as I turn this book in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this interview! I have a hard time picking just one product, but I'd have to go with mascara. However, if you put me in a Sephora, I'm happy with just about everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother is forever saying, "You need a little lipstick." So I'm always paranoid that I don't have any color on my lips!

    I'm a paper and pencil girl too, Cate. Something about the old-fashioned way of doing things!

    Glad that Lucky Girl is now available for readers to enjoy. I sure had fun reading Jess and Nick's story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. R. Firasek, I love all makeup, too. :) I'm definitely a makeup junkie. :) Thanks so much for reading LUCKY GIRL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jess, I know what you mean about Sephora! OMG, I love that store. :) Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tracy, we are kindred spirits when it comes to writing with paper and pencil :) Thanks for your kind words about LUCKY GIRL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, Cate! It's nice to know I'm not the only one who uses pen and paper. :)

    ReplyDelete