Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Need

Need by Carrie Jones (December 23rd 2008)

Grade: 3.3 stars out of 5

Summary: “Zara collects phobias the way other high school girls collect lipsticks. Little wonder, since life's been pretty rough so far. Her father left, her stepfather just died, and her mother's pretty much checked out. Now Zara's living with her grandmother in sleepy, cold Maine so that she stays & safe. Zara doesn't think she's in danger; she thinks her mother can't deal.

Wrong. Turns out that guy she sees everywhere, the one leaving trails of gold glitter, isn't a figment of her imagination. He's a pixie and not the cute, lovable kind with wings. He's the kind who has dreadful, uncontrollable needs. And he's trailing Zara.”

Review: When first reading a book that others have raved on about, I’m actually very, very hesitant to start. It’s the fear that just maybe I, single handedly, will not like this book. But luckily, this was not the case for Need.

My adoration to this book can be proven by the rating alone. 4.75 stars is almost as close as to perfection as you can get in my book. Once the grade past 4.5 stars, I tend to get greedy with points. I even start to include the hundredth decimal place! Anyhow, moving on to the finer details…

Reasons as to why I love this book are one, the phobias. I know this has been covered in many reviews and in the summary as well, however, to me this does not signify a quirky little topic, but the dedication as a writer. The time it took to research this topic and the way that it was included in the plot was wonderfully done. I appreciate how much effort it took to include such a small little detail.

I also thought that it was quite clever to withhold all the information to the very end. It keeps the reader on their toes, (at least for me it did!) quite suspenseful and gripping. Oh! And the information provided such as the background details and reasoning behind the plot was also well explained.

I guess this is where I include a little quote from the book that I enjoyed. Honestly though, if I happen to actually do that I would quote about half of the book! And I think that that might be illegal… (is it?) So just take my word that it is indeed good.

Here’s where I got picky. Insignificant details but I feel that I had to justify my grading. **Spoiler Alert*** Toward the end of the novel when Zara saves her mother and the pixie king is notified of such, he appears to care not. Maybe it was an act of kindness? A devotion to true love perhaps? But then in the next line or two, he forcibly grabs Zara and tries to attack her. I’m slightly confused on this scene. Was not the main motive of the pixie king to capture Zara’s mother. Why hadn’t he done something? Anything? **End Spoiler** Each reader can interpret this situation to any way they wish, it just so happened this is my interpretation, well lack of it actually.

There was also quite an amount of open-ended questions for me. I’m itching to know the story behind Zara’s mother and her past, as well as Issie’s knowledge of the unusual situation. Had Nick or Devyn indeed told her? But if my sources are right (Carol~) then there will be a sequel to Need, where I will hopefully find answers to my question.

Overall: Two words: simply amazing. I cannot wait for the sequel!

Cover: C+

As some of you may have noticed, it is quite hard for me to write a review for a good book. I can only blabber on for so long that, yes! I did like the book. It's always difficult to pin-point the exact scenes and details that makes me like this book so much and forming it into words is nearly impossible...

And special thanks to Deb and Carrie for sending me a copy!

EDIT: I just read the interview (again I might add, I've actually skimmed through this once before) and Carol is indeed right! Okay so I actually never doubted her but she sent me a link and my stupid nosiness wouldn't leave me alone...lol

3 comments:

  1. Yes, there will be a sequel to NEED. Here's the link, just scroll down a bit. http://reneesweet.livejournal.com/74377.html

    Great review BTW. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually kind of like the cover. lol. Then again, it does kind of look like the trees are trying to strangle her. lol. I'm really looking forward to reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See and this is where we differ! hahahaha, I didn't like this book very much at all. I'm holding out to see if the second can build on the weak start and improve it. I've linked to your review here: http://www.thediaryofabookworm.com/search/label/Need at my review of the same.

    ReplyDelete