Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Deadly Little Secret

Deadly Little Secret by Laurie Faria Stolarz (December 16th 2008)

Grade: 3 stars out of 5

Summary: “Until three months ago, everything about sixteen-year-old Camelia's life had been fairly ordinary: decent grades; an okay relationship with her parents; and a pretty cool part-time job at an art studio downtown. But when Ben, the mysterious new guy, starts junior year at her high school, Camelia's life becomes far from ordinary.

Rumored to be somehow responsible for his ex-girlfriend's accidental death, Ben is immediately ostracized by everyone on campus. Except for Camelia. She's reluctant to believe he's trouble, even when her friends try to convince her otherwise. Instead she's inexplicably drawn to Ben...and to his touch. But soon, Camelia is receiving eerie phone calls and strange packages with threatening notes. Ben insists she is in danger, and that he can help – but can he be trusted? She knows he's hiding something...but he's not the only one with a secret.”

Review: First things first, the comparison between Twilight and Deadly Little Secret. It seems to be the buzz that this book is quite frankly a remix of Twilight. In my opinion, I think that there are indeed some, but not completely. The premise starts out very much like it: girl almost gets killed by a car, mystery boy comes and save her, girl is infatuated with danger boy, boy and girl have chemistry class together (not biology) and are lab partners. Of course some other insignificant little Twilight pieces thrown in as well, but the plot line is completely different from Twilight!

When I first started Deadly Little Secret I was quite surprised that the genre was suspense and drama. I was expecting the drama, but definitely not the suspense. Did I like? Yes. Was it too predictable? Definitely a big N-O. There were just so many possible candidates for the culprit that every new chapter my mind would switch. “It’s him! No, wait, it’s HIM!” There are so many possible choices in the beginning, each one with their own motives. But towards the end, one by one it dwindles away until you are left with the answer.

The way it was set up, every so often a chapter will be written from the stalker’s point of view, was quite impressive. When I read this first chapter that had been done this way, I was repulsed by the feeling I got. I could feel the shiver in my spine just from the tone and atmosphere it created.

However, I felt that all was not good with this book. I felt that the majority of the characters had no actually depth. Ben for example, all you knew was that he has a special gift and he is accused of murder. I couldn’t grasp his motives or his essence. I also felt that the characters that had captured my attention from the very start should have been included much more. Shouldn’t the main characters, Camelia and Ben, be the main draw?

Overall: Laurie creates a wonderful tale filled with mystery and secrets. A good start for a series but fell short in certain areas.

Cover C

2 comments: