Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Happy Almost Chinese New Year!

Tomorrow is the official start of my celebration for...
Chinese New Year
PAR-TAY!!
We say goodbye to the rat and say hello to the ox! Ain't he just adorable!?Anyway, this is where I'm going to have all the post this upcoming week to help keep me organize and to make things easier for everyone. I'm just going to have a warning that since this was quite a spontatneous event it's not going to be very coherent...I'm hoping to have another event planned on later in the year as well, will keep you guys updated on that if it works out.

Anyway, here's a sample of what's going to occur this week.

"My family spent a month in China a few years ago. (A full month of family vacation together time...Several years later, and I think we just stopped being sick of each other from that trip!) While we were there, we learned about many of the gorgeous traditions, legends, and folklore of China. One of my favorite Chinese customs is the tradition of eating long, uncut noodles on your birthday. The length of the noodles is meant to signify longevity. The symbolism there is so simple and beautiful. And I love the idea of your family fixing you a birthday meal that wishes you a long and healthy life. Of course, I’d probably love any excuse to eat a lot of carbs!"

-- Julie Kraut, coauthor of Hot Mess and upcoming novel Slept Away.
You can visit her at JulieKraut.com

What I love about this guest post is that it's a tradition that my family and relatives also do every new year.

6 comments:

  1. That's such a cute little ox!
    My family and I "celebrate" by making Chinese food and watching the San Francisco parade on TV. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, it is a cute ox. Nice little guest post too. I hadn't heard that before...about the long noodles to represent a long life. So cool!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. awh hello mr.ox ;)

    I'm looking forward to tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sad every year when I have to miss my large extended family's Chinese New Year celebration because I'm away at college. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a cute ox! I'm excited to see what you have in store for us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, yum yum, I miss long un-cut noodles!

    Oh Yan your Chinese too? Cool!

    ReplyDelete