Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Shakespeare Meme

I was tagged by Alyce!

1. What was your first introduction to William Shakespeare? Was it love or hate?

I was first introduced to William Shakespeare at school like many others. Honestly I hated Shakespeare. Maybe it was the way my teacher forced us to act out every scene, line, and act. Which by the way we weren’t very good actors so most of the time it was hard to follow what was going on. Or maybe it was the fact that she quizzed us as soon as the last word was spoken. And that I happen to failed almost every. single. last. quiz.

I probably would have enjoyed the book if it was independent reading. Actually a greater chance since I wouldn’t be highlighting line after line, jotting down notes in the margin while trying to remember every single character; their motives, their appearance, their actions!

I think school cursed me into hating Shakespeare…

2. Which Shakespeare plays have you been required to read?
Romeo and Juliet (of course), Julius Cesar, Macbeth, Richard III.

3. Do you think Shakespeare is important? Do you feel you are a “better” person for having read the bard?
Honestly I have no opinion on whether or not if he is important. To me he just wrote plays that I had to read for school. Plain and simple.

Am I supposed to feel like a “better” person…?

4. Do you have a favorite Shakespeare play?
No. I neither love nor hate all his plays.

5. How do you feel about contemporary takes on Shakespeare? Adaptations of Shakespeare's works with a more modern feel? (For example, the new line of Manga Shakespeare graphic novels, or novels like Something Rotten, Something Wicked, Enter Three Witches, Ophelia, etc.) Do you have a favorite you'd recommend?
I think that the younger generation will probably enjoy the adaptations much more than the original. These days it’s less about the beauty of words and more on trying to save money on texts by shortening words. I haven’t actually seen or read any but I’m intrigued now…

I'll be back in a hour or so and actually pick the people but for now I tag whoever wants to do this! I'm off to read more physics!

1 comment:

  1. That's too bad that your first experiences with Shakespeare weren't better. I had a great teacher in high school who had a passion for Shakespeare and the ability to make it understandable and fun. I know how lucky I was - I hated history for years because of a horrible teacher (I like history more now).

    ReplyDelete