Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Friday, January 23, 2009

Wondrous Strange

More details of the sequel here.

Wondrous Strange
by Lesley Livingston (December 23rd 2008)

Grade: 3 stars out of 5

Summary: “Since the dawn of time, the Faerie have taken. . . .

For seventeen-year-old actress Kelley Winslow, faeries are just something from childhood stories. Then she meets Sonny Flannery, whose steel-gray eyes mask an equally steely determination to protect her.

Sonny guards the Samhain Gate, which connects the mortal realm with the Faerie's enchanted, dangerous Otherworld. Usually kept shut by order of icy King Auberon, the Gate stands open but once a year.

This year, as the time approaches when the Samhain Gate will swing wide and nightmarish Fae will fight their way into an unsuspecting human world, something different is happening . . . something wondrous and strange. And Kelley's eyes are opening not just to the Faerie that surrounds her but to the heritage that awaits her.

Now Kelley must navigate deadly faerie treachery—and her growing feelings for Sonny—in this dazzling page-turner filled with luminous romance.”

Review: When I first started Wondrous Strange I had the odd sensation that I came across something very much like this before. And then it hit me. Tithe by Holly Black and Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr. I’m not trying to say that everything was the same, but the terms and creatures...and maybe some plotlines were. At one point or another I had to pause and turn to the cover to see if I was indeed reading Wondrous Strange.

However, Wondrous Strange to me was actually far much better than Wicked Lovely and Tithe. It had more depth, better character development, and actually realistic scenes! It was the flawed characters that made it so much more believable.

I also enjoyed the way the multiple tales were weaved together; they flowed so freely within each other that I had no problem understanding. The unpredictability in certain areas was quite fun as well. You would never have guessed how Sonny and Kelley were connected; it just screamed “coincidence”!

Overall: A great and fun read. I cannot wait until the sequel to Wondrous Strange comes out! More details of the sequel here.

Cover B

There actually wasn't much to say about this book...

3 comments:

  1. I really want to read this! I really love books like this. :D
    Good Review!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got this in the mail yesterday. It looks so good, can't wait to begin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great series by a terrific Canadian Author, Lesley Livingston is a sweetie. I'm glad you enjoyed it as well.
    I've linked to your review her: http://www.thediaryofabookworm.com/search/label/Wondrous%20Strange at my review of the same

    ReplyDelete