Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Taken By Storm

Taken by Storm by Angela Morrison (March 5th 2009)

Grade: 1.6 stars out of 5

Summary: “Leesie wants to…
• keep the rule: no making out, no sex, get dating a non-Mormon.
• get into BYU and follow her faith.
• help Michael heal, love him, save him.
But when temptation is too strong to resist, who is going to save her?

Michael wants to…
• stop the nightmares about Isadore, the storm that killed his parents.
• dive again—he belongs underwater.
• be with Leesie

Leesie and Michael must make the hardest choice of their lives: whether to follow their beliefs or their hearts.”

Review: The foundation of Taken by Storm was uniquely original, something that I have yet to be seen done in this fashion. Written in two different perspectives, Leesie through poetry and chats online, and Michael through his dive log, Taken by Storm gives the reader a better insight through their experiences. Some of which are Michael’s flashbacks of his tragedy and his path to healing and of Leesie’s everyday life and ridicule.

Leesie is a character based heavily on religion. What I enjoyed about this idea is that it gave reason to some of the decisions that she made. Rather than the cliché, “I want someone who truly loves me for me…” Leesie chooses to abstain herself because of her beliefs, because it is godly wrong. It was conflict of between two forces that drew the most appeal, love or religion. The strong desire to help Michael, to comfort him, traps her into the corner.

Michael on the other hand was a character based on emotion. Whatever emotion came forth he naturally pursues. Sometimes though, this is not all too good. The needy attention that he craves from Leesie at points is quite irritating as well as the offhandedness to her customs.

What I really loathed in this novel can be summed up in one word: babe. Almost. Every. Single. Page. I honestly do not mind this term, but when used as an endearment it just annoys me to no end.

Overall: N/A

Cover B-

I know, I know. I said that I wouldn't post a review so far from the publication date ever again but I really had to just get this over with. I've been staring at this review for 2 weeks now and it took me forever just to get this much!

4 comments:

  1. OMG i'm dying to read this one. It's really cool that the story is told through poems, chats and dive logs.

    Thanks for the review Yan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks cool. But I can't really tell from the summary what it's about...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's mostly about finding and dealing with love but also the healing process after a tragedy.

    ReplyDelete