Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Q&A + Contest with Veronica Wolff: Vampires, Sequels, & YA Novels!

Veronica Wolff’s ISLE OF NIGHT is the first book in a new Young Adult series that is a perfect blend of Richelle Mead’s Vampire Academy novels and Suzanne Collin’s The Hunger Games. Told from the point of view of a smart and edgy teenage girl, Wolff weaves a story will have both teens and adults hooked from the very first page.

Visit Veronica at her website! and twitter!


1. Was there a big difference between writing YA and writing historical romances?
A huge difference! I do a lot of research for my historicals and have even traveled to Scotland a couple times to tour the castles and the landscape I’ve written about. But now, with this particular YA series, instead of poring over seventeenth-century maps and learning the ins and outs of things like sheep farming, I get to Make It All Up instead. It’s a blast.

Moreover, with my romances, readers know they’re guaranteed a happily ever after. There’s nothing so neat with my YA series. Although I have a long-term vision for The Watchers, and the plot of each book is resolved, Annelise’s story doesn’t end on the last page.
2. What made you decide to branch into YA novels?
Honestly, I can’t read enough of them. It’s blown my mind just how many gifted authors, amazing stories, and vividly drawn, complicated characters there are in the genre. As for the writing, I’m enjoying every minute. Speaking as someone with one foot in romance (which I still completely adore), it’s exhilarating that, in YA, there are no rules. I want The Watchers to be a series in the true sense of the word, with a serial feel, like episodes in an action-packed television show. The approach has been freeing.

Another thing I love about writing YA is immersing myself in that first person voice, steeping myself in Annelise’s roiling emotions, delving into things like friendships, crushes, betrayals, and the total unease of adolescence. Hey, who knows, maybe I still have some stuff to work out from my own teen years.
3. Is there any plans for a character from your other novels to have a small cameo in this new series? 
Wow, I hadn’t even considered that! My knee-jerk reaction was an instant nah, but now that you’ve put it in my head, it sure seems like something that’d be fun to write. When it comes to writing, I say never say never.

[Edited to Add: sorry Veronica, but when you said "never say never" I just had to put a picture of Justin Bieber!]
4. In Isle of Night, are the vampires the good guys or the bad guys? Or perhaps a mixture of both?
Aw, I can’t go telling you things like that! What I will say is, in my world, vampires were once people, and like people, some are good and some are evil. Similarly, things and people aren’t always as they seem.

Otherwise, good or bad, so much has yet to be revealed about my world and those in it—book one just scratches the surface. 
5. Can you describe Isle of Night in a couple of keywords?
Fast. Fraught. Violent. Longing.
6. What are some of your favorite things about Scotland? Will the setting play a major part in Isle of Night?
My favorite places in the world are the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. The isles take my breath away—some have lovely sandy beaches, others are bleak and craggy, with gray skies and winds so violent, you need to link arms to stay upright. There, you’ll find land so isolated, there are few people and nothing like power lines overhead to mar the scenery. It’s a place where anything could happen. Where you’d believe anything. You could be in the past, or among fairies, or druids. Or vampires.

Ancient standing stones, a looming castle, and the total, eerie isolation of life on a rock in the middle of the North Sea—these things all play a part in Isle of Night.
7. Can you tell us a little bit about the sequel to Isle of Night?
Annelise’s training intensifies as she prepares for her first mission, and her relationships intensify, too. Friends can be lost, the hazing is cruel, and one of the vampires is just too frighteningly seductive for her own good.

And, I don’t want to give it away, but the book is called Vampire’s Kiss…so, you know, there might just be a kiss in there somewhere.


Interested yet? Read an excerpt of Isle of Night!

Are you really interested now? Then enter to win a copy for yourself! Or buy a copy right away: Amazon / Barnes and Noble / Indie Bound.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me!! Be sure to check out my ISLE OF NIGHT book trailer! http://youtu.be/mcldtZHb8Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I've been really wanting to read this book and didn't know anything about Veronica before now. I always enjoy getting to know a bit about the authors. :)
    Thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete