Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Uncommon Criminals

Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter

Grade: 5 stars out of 5
Katrina Bishop is one of the youngest, smallest, but surely one of the best thieves in the world. Her currently heist is one of biggest thus far is for the world’s biggest emerald: the Cleopatra Emerald. Many thieves have attempted to steal the jewel and all have claimed that it is cursed. Even Uncle Eddie forbids Kat to even try. But things get personal for Kat when she gets conned. A thief does not get conned.
There is a low chance of me reviewing this book without gushing like a lovestruck teenager. Uncommon Criminals just hit that sweet spot that no other book for the past month had managed to strike. The prequel, Heist Society, was okay, decent, but no means better than Carter’s Gallagher Girls series. Uncommon Criminals, on the other hand, was almost perfection.

Ally Carter seems to enjoy teasing the audience by giving them enough clues that they think they’ve figured everything out. But then out of the blue, up pops an important fact that turns an entire situation around. A lose becomes a win. A clumsy fight because an orchestrated scene. A sweet innocent Kat becomes a focused thief playing her part without one thinking the wiser. And yet, it was just one single thread of the whole series that made my day. Kat kissed Hale. If I didn’t look so ridiculous fist-pumping, I would do it.

In the Gallagher Girls series, it’s taken readers several books for the romance to develop to be called a romance. I was expecting the same slow trickle of a smile, a touch, a hug, a kiss, for this new series. There was the same tension and the same voice in my head chanting “Come on, you know you want to kiss the boy”, but miraculously Carter decided to show mercy this time.

Ally Carter always keeps me in suspense in her well-crafted novel that screamed details. Her originality astounds me at times and the humorous names for cons leave me grinning. When Carter intentional leaves out very important facts, I found myself not being the slightest upset. Every author should have a trick up their sleeves and Ally Carter has many tricks. What came after each plot twist only made the reading experience more enjoyable.

Uncommon Criminals gave the readers a better glimpse of Kat’s inner turmoil about being a thief. It’s like delving into the murky mind of a brilliant girl who’s lost her own focus on her life. And as Kat begins to be submerged into her thoughts, her family and friends pull her out. The strength I found in their relationship was amazing and brought out some of the smaller character developments, which I instinctively search for in series.

I think you get the gist right? I loved this book.

The End.

Cover B-
Published: 2011, June 21; hardcover
Source: review copy from Disney Hyperion

7 comments:

  1. Kat kissed Hale needs to be the new Snape Kills Dumbledore. Except i love it so much more :P Totes agree, this book was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought these looked adorable, so am glad to know the content matches the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought HEIST SOCIETY was better than the Gallagher Girl books. But I'm psyched to hear this one is so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: comment on my post

    I won it along with other books a couple of years ago from you. :P i also delivered a batch of them to another winner when you couldn't send the huge box to canada xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book too. Ally Carter is great with a plot! I hope there will be many more of these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Ally Carter is getting better and better with her plot-thickening! I am so very excited for this book - and you can't imagine how psyched I am that you loved it! :D

    ReplyDelete