Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Isle of Night

Isle of Night by Veronica Wolff

Grade: 3.8 / 4 stars out of 5

When people releases make comparisons for new books with old books that had great success, I scoff. So-and-so is the new Hunger Games, Twilight, Vampire Academy, Harry Potter, etc. Right…and my unborn child from the future will be the next Michelle Kwan because I’m Chinese and small.

But sometimes they’re spot on.

Isle of Night infused both elements similar to the Hunger Games and Vampire Academy to make for one gory, violent, and addicting novel. Survival of the fittest and this book is plenty fit to survive in the sea of YA novels.
Annelise “Drew” has drawn the interest of an old creature.

With her abusive father back home, and college no longer possible, the temptation to leave is great. When a mystery man with a Proust tattoo offers Drew an escape, she seems unable to say no. But the island where the mystery Ronan takes her threatens her life. For on that island, human girls are trained to become Watchers: partners to vampires.

And the only way off the island is to fight. To lose means death.
Midterms apparently make me violent as I devoured this book. Forget sleeping and studying, I wanted blood. I admit that the beginning was very slow. I admit that I read the first couple of chapters then decided to set it aside because I wasn’t feeling it. A couple of weeks later I craved into my imaginary pressures, and turned the next page. Let’s just say that I might have missed my bus as I left late all because of a certain book. Once I got over the initial drag of the beginning, Isle of Night became what Chloe Neill says, “A compulsive page-turner”.

It was exciting, thrilling and blood racing. But let’s go back to the beginning.

When we’re first introduced to Drew, we know that she is brilliant—a genius on paper. What I’ve read in several reviews was the question of how could a self-proclaimed genius follow a random stranger into a car to an island. And I felt myself nodding right along with that because it was also my initial thought. But then I decided to play the devil’s advocate with myself (I know, I’m such a dork). Drew didn’t grow up in the most stable home: her mother died when she was young, her father abuses her, and her stepmother just sucks. She can’t trust the male figure in her life that society says to trust. Why shouldn’t she trust this guy who she feels an instant connection to? Who is safer than her own father? There’s also the possibility of Drew being book smart, but lacking in the common sense department. Of course, I’m pretty much making stuff up that makes sense in my mind.

Drew is a multifaceted character with an array of emotions. She can be snarky, the new B in town, an awesome friend, timid, afraid, and happy. She’s human who happens to drink vampire blood to become stronger, faster, and totally kickass.  Her closest companions are obviously equally kickass.

Yasuo is a vampire in training. There’s not much divulged about this part in the island. Hopefully there will be more explanation and details about this in the following sequels. He and Drew hit it off immediately which provides some of the comic relief.

Then there’s Emma from the neck of the woods. She’s very quiet, but you want to be best friends when trapped in an unknown environment with monsters. It’s always the quiet ones in the back….

And what’s a good cast of good guys without villains. And boy, do you want to punch them in the face and run away screaming for your life at the same time. Lilac, the leader of the pack of hunger teenage wolves, is a ruthless being who physically and verbally bullies Drew. And just won’t die! Luckily, Drew can dish it right back to Lilac even with 99% of the girls out to kill Drew.

And there’s the seductive stranger turned mentor who pulled Drew from the old world. There’s not enough information or contact with Ronan for me to form a full opinion. For now, he’s tall, handsome, with a wicked accent, and broody.

Isle of Night ended with an explosion. With detail fight scenes, Drew’s cunningness in full light, and an end to a character that had me cheering, Isle of Night finished with an exciting cliffhanger. This, my friends, was not a bad ending at all. Isle of Night is the perfect example of an exponential line graph. (Have I mentioned how I’m a dork?) Started off slow, but immediately took once it hit its stride. My love for Isle of Night also grew exponentially.


Cannot wait for the next book.

Read an excerpt of Isle of Night!

Cover C-
Not feeling it at all. This one is a "Don't Judge a Book by its Cover".
Source: NAL publisher

5 comments:

  1. How do you have a 3.8 out of 4 out of 5?

    I really hope you're right, because the first 3 chapters, in my opinion, were good, and then it just went south from there (I only read the excerpt). I got really tired of her mentioning how she was "burning" at the touch of Ronan and how freaking smart she was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't decide between a 3.8 or 4

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard this book is misogynistic and just horrible but you an I like most of the same PNR books so I don't know if I'll hate this or love it. *looks for my copy*

    ReplyDelete
  4. your review helped bolster my opinion of this book. I've seen a lot of only so so reviews but thanks to yours I will have to give this one a try anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have this on my tbr list. I know I've seen it around, but can't remember if I added it or not.

    It definitely sounds intriguing. If I don't already have it on my list, I'll definitely have to add it. Your review has made me want to pick it up soon.

    =)

    ReplyDelete