Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Kid Table by Andrea Seigel


The Kid Table by Andrea Seigel

Grade: 4.5 stars out of 5
Ingrid and her cousins have been stuck at the Kid Table for every family function. At every event, the teenagers have been sitting at a small aluminum card table with a toddler. However, Ingrid cannot believe her eyes when she sees her eldest cousin Brianne sitting at the adult table. Even more disconcerting is how hard Ingrid falls for Brianne’s boyfriend Trevor. Over the course of a year, Ingrid reevaluates herself, her cousins, and the relationships she has with those around her.

I’ll read almost anything. I will only actually like about half of what I read. And even less will I actually say I love. It has to have quality writing, original characters with flaws, a different variation of standard plotlines, etc. Something different, you know? The Kid Table is one of those rare books.

I loved it. I loved how it was written in the course of five family events, and only those events, but that Ingrid narrates what happens in between those events, so you know she has a life outside her cousins. It didn’t feel like there were holes in between chapters, and it was just so REFRESHING.

I love that Ingrid is such a complex woven web of WISDOM and LUST. It just makes her seem so much more real. In real life, people aren’t perfect, so characters in fiction books shouldn’t be either. Ingrid’s cousins Cricket, Dom, Micah, and Brianne are no different (though I wouldn’t say the same about Autumn). Seigel had a way of making sure everyone was heard, but without their issues taking over.

I’m a sucker for super romantic chick lit. What I like even more is unconventional love stories. Ingrid’s love for Trevor was palpable; she saw him across the room and their eyes locked. So was her disappointment when she found out he was Brianne’s boyfriend. I felt her confusion when he sent her mixed signals, her excitement when he kissed her, her devastation at the pool party. I’m a fierce believer in true love, and this was a heart-wrenching example of it.

I’m sorry I’m babbling. I’m trying to express how much I liked this book without giving too much away. No summary will be fair enough, so you’ll just have to read it for yourself. It’s one of the only books I would actually want to see a movie be based on it and I wouldn’t be mad if they changed a few things, namely the ending, which is probably my only complaint (and why I can’t give it a 5). It feels abrupt, even though there was some evidence that led to it.

If I didn’t get the point across yet, I loved it. I would recommend it to everyone that’s a tad bit tired of the same old clich√© romances.

1 comment:

  1. I'm getting a copy of this book soon! I can't wait to read it. The cover and title bring a lot of memories to mind. I love the fact that the fork has mac & cheese. So classic.

    ReplyDelete