Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Vicious Deep

You’ll have to forgive me for this review; it’s been almost 3 months since I’ve written my last review. Hopefully it’ll be like riding a bike….

The Vicious Deep by Zoraida Córdova
Grade: 3.8 stars out of 5
Published: May 1st, 2012; harcover
Source: ARC from Sourcebooks for blog tour
You thought your family had secrets. For Tristan Hart, his family’s secret goes deep…deep into the ocean.

For 3 days, Tristan has been swept way in the sea by a crash. He was the only survivor. The big question on everyone’s mind is how? Someone has some explaining to do especially when a goldfish turned merperson comes popping out of the facet.
The first thing that was the most surprising was the fact that The Vicious Deep was written through a male’s POV via first person. Zoraida Cordova pulled it off well. Tristan Hart is one of those guys who is part jerk who knows that he’s hot and part sensitive guy that not many people know about. The first person POV helped immensely when drawing some the more subtle traits of Tristan: protective, loving, word-vomiting guy. But he’s still part jerk. There were moments in the book where I wanted to slap him upside the head, stomp on his toes hard, and say really mean things.

Tristan’s reactions to everything were realistic. The underwater kingdom that Cordova built was crafted amazingly. I enjoy the slight politics and balance between brutish and sophisticated lifestyle that the merfolk cultivated.

For me, I had trouble mostly with the pacing of the story and Layla, Tristan’s best friend and crush. I’m all for independent women, but I hated how she took every “no, don’t do it” as a challenge. There’s a difference between confident and reckless and Layla managed to cross that line for me many times. Tristan wasn’t the only thing I wanted to slap.

I loved the other characters. Love, love, love some of the secondary characters. Would a fifth “love” be excessive? No? Okay, I loovvveee some of them. The dad, mom, friends, and “cousins” brought so much to the book.

The second problem was that the pacing was rather slow for me. There were some scenes that I felt could have been cut out like the mall scene. The excess magical creatures, I hope would play a bigger role later on. Right now, it’s a little too heavy and too much of a wasted chapter. Perhaps I’m just impatient for the big showdown. (I’ve been told I’m quite impatient.)

In all, The Vicious Deep was a great adventure with its own great tale. I won’t look at mermaids/mermen the same way. With splashes of humor, action scenes that I can instantly visualize, and a great set of hero and heroines I look forward to the next installment.

did not like
Cover A
I prefer this cover a lot more. There's a greater appeal to the male readers than the older cover (which featured a girl on the cover), while still having appeal to the female readers. I absolutely love the eye-popping colors and how much it relates to the book. It's freaking awesome.

1 comment:

  1. I like kick ass heroins, but sometimes they are a bit too stubborn for their own good. And secondary characters are great :D

    Thanks for sharing this, I liked your review :)

    ReplyDelete