Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Replacement

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

Grade: 2 stars out of 5
Mackie has always been different. The scent of blood makes him faint and any chance of him touching iron? Slim to near. Why? Because it might kill him. Mackie has always known that he is different.
When a classmate’s sister goes missing (surely that girl who was in the coffin was not Tate’s true sister) Mackie can’t help but be drawn in. Because he was also one of them. A replacement child after the true child was snatched away.

Okay, first things first: Is novel about faeries or zombies? My brother read this before me and claimed it is zombies, but I’ve always thought it is about faeries. Unless, of course, it is a merge of the two. Another question does anyone else have issues with Tate?

While the first question is merely an icebreaker, the second raises a lot of concerns for me. Here we’re presented with a bad-ass female lead who is a potential love interest to Mackie, our hero for the tale. Tate, for the life of me, I just couldn’t sympathize or frankly, understand her. After her sister’s kidnapping Tate gets hard—picking fights, physically fighting and dealing serious blows, and gets really close to bullying Mackie. But here’s the real kicker that baffles my mind: Mackie falls for her. Hard. This is where I scream: WHY!? One chapter it’s avoidavoidavoid because she knows Mackie’s secret and the next thing I know they’re making out on the ground. Yes I did a double take. Yes I read the scene and some of the scenes before over again just to be absolutely positive that I did not miss anything important. But no I just still did not understand. Is there perhaps a deeper inclination of why they happen to like each other? Emotional trauma links the two together because no one else seems understand? Or am I merely making a big deal out of nothing.

Another concern is how much does the town know and understand about a separate community that lives among them: the replacers and the replacement. There’s an underline tone throughout the book that there are more people who knows about the Morrigans (the faeries/zombies hybrid) that meets the eye. Speaking of which Mackie’s best friend, Roswell, is considered blessed rather than cursed like the whole town, but what does that really mean?

Okay enough of my ranting. Yovanoff does an exceptional job at world building and the written word as well. She builds from the ground up and puts in place rules, regulations, and standards that fit well. The siblinghood between Mackie and his sister broke my heart that I would love to read over and over again. The friendship of Mackie and Roswell was solid and a great highlight to take note of. When Mackie is first introduced to the world of Morrigan, it felt real. It was definitely a classic horror scene, but beautifully done.

It was just with everything else that I had issues.

Cover: A+ (OMFG I love this cover to death)
Source: ARC from RazorBill; finished copy which I acquired personally
Published: 21 September 2010 (debuted at NY Times bestseller's list! go Yobanoff*)

*just because the book wasn't suited for my taste doesn't mean I can't be happy for a debut author and the kick-butt marketing team :)

4 comments:

  1. I love the cover but also had some of the same issues with the book that you did. I did not love it. And I wanted to. It's alright, though. I still wish the author the best and will read her next book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear you didn't love this one! While I had some qualms with it, I still very much enjoyed it, and I loved the dark undertones. Excellent review :)

    Be sure to check out my international blogoversary giveaway going on now!

    http://tinyurl.com/2faa8j3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to read this one, and it's weird because a lot of people said they had liked it, so I'm interested to find where I fall on how much I like it.

    Great, well thought out, review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in the process of reading this book right now and I agree with what you have said thus far. I'll continue to read til the end but it doesn't look that promising thus far.
    Anyhow, I wanted to say that I really enjoy your blog and because of this I want to give you an award. The info can be found at the following link:
    http://bookworm-meags222.blogspot.com/2010/11/i-won-award.html
    Thanks and happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete