Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Monday, November 22, 2010

Nightlight: a Parody

Nightlight by The Harvard Lampoon

Grade: .8 / 1 star out of 5

Nightlight is a parody that I expected to blow me away. It was supposed to make me laugh so hard that I’d burst a gut. But no, sadly enough it only made me want to vomit my gut out. Okay, I’m exaggerating slightly. Just slightly.

Please note this is my second published Twilight parody I’ve read. The first one I wrote a review of here. I’m not exactly one of those people who love Twilight to death and attack anyone who bashes it. While I did enjoy the series I’m open to parodies for that quick laugh.

With Nightlight my main issue is how it focuses so much on making fun of the characters that the book loses its plot. Nothing makes sense. How did this event result in that conclusion? Is the Harvard Lampoon making fun of Twilight by saying that it has no plot? Is the Harvard Lampoon making fun of the silliness in Twilight by exaggerating characters and scenes? Frankly I don’t really care. Instead of guessing I want them to show me.

I was just irritated by the whole thing from start to finish. My God, they made Bella (Belle Goose) so freaking stupid that it passes the line of believable to ‘are you serious?’

I wasted my time with this.

Cover: C+ (based on the UK edition, the one I read)
Source: personal copy from me
Published: 03 November 2010

2 comments:

  1. yes, I read this one too and was sad it fell flat. The back and the first few pages made me laugh so I had high expectations. In the end it was kind of a waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got this one at home, too. I once tried to read it but only managed about 10 pages because it just wasn't funny.

    ReplyDelete