Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Friday, November 26, 2010

Tweet Heart

Tweet Heart by Elizabeth Rudnick

Grade: 3.5 stars out of 5
"Claire is a #hopelessromantic. Lottie is determined to set up her BFF with Mr. Perfect. Will wants his #secretcrush to finally notice him. Bennett is a man with a plan.

Claire can’t believe it when her dream guy starts following her on Twitter. She never thought he noticed her, and suddenly he seems to understand her better than almost anyone.

But the Twitterverse can be a confusing place, especially when friends act differently online than they do in person. Things get even more complicated when Claire realizes she’s falling for someone else, the last person she ever would have expected…."
Tweet Heart is one of the most original, creative and well executed novels that I have read in my times. In the beginning when I first heard of Tweet Heart being a book told through twitter I told myself ‘no way, no how, will I ever read this book’.

I’ve come to terms that novels written through emails aggravate me and I end up hating the novel purely based on the fact that it is written through emails. For one thing there is a tendency with internet set books the characters talk in a sort of broken down and dumb down language. Words are abbreviated where there is not really a point behind it and excessive amounts of !!! make me want to pull my hair out. Twitter, I assumed, would only make things worst because of the 140 character limit.

This is where I take a deep breath and say I shall never judge future books based on a couple of bad experiences I’ve had especially when they are two completely different authors. What actually made me pick up Tweet Heart were those positive reviews. So yes reviews do happen to sway my decisions especially for those books I’m on the fence of. And wow, Tweet Heart was not what I had expected.

I have to give full props, kudos, high-fives to whoever designed the format of the novel. It was designed so perfectly that it felt like the people at Hyperion created individual twitter accounts and did screen shots. The people of Hyperion were so freaking awesome that they sent me an e-book of Tweet Heart where I could personally cut out an excerpt. The excerpt isn’t one of the best dialogues but it showcases the design of the book and just how amazing it is. The blue boxes are the DMs. They included the homepage, the wallpaper, the @ function. I freaking LOVE it.

Okay enough gushing about the design. Tweet Heart is a fairly standard novel aside from being told via twitter. The novel didn’t get in-depth with feelings, inner thoughts, and the general development. Tweet Heart was a novel more of relationships than individual growth so the characters I found to be slightly flat. The relationship, be it romantically or purely platonic, does develop, but sometimes not on (the theoretically) screen. What the audience reads is the before and the after of the talks where it is more appropriate face to face than screen to screen.

The characters come alive through their updates and blogs. Readers can definitely get a feel for their personalities may it be the quiet thinker, the outgoing realist, the lovesick dreamer, or the plain confused. Rudnick does what she can in this type of setup.

Cover C
Source: personal copy
Published: 29 June 2010

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know about the Twitter design inside the book, that's pretty cool, thanks for the insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. blog walking and visiting here... have a view of my blog when free.. http://www.lonelyreload.blogspot.com .. do leave me some comment / guide if can.. if interested can follow my blog...

    ReplyDelete