Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver

The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver

Grade: 1.8 stars out of 5

Blurbed by P.C. Cast: "A deliciously clever and totally unique twist on the struggle between Good and Evil."
“It’s the year 2018, and with human society seriously disrupted by the economic upheavals of the previous decade, Lucifer has increased the number of demons in all major cities. Fortunately, humans are protected by trappers, who work to keep homes and streets safe from the things that go bump in the night.” --from ARC
The Demon Trapper’s Daughter was a heart pounding, adrenaline kicking novel that tried too much as the first book in the series.

This dystopian world is caused by the economic downturns of countries. The price of gas is a hundred or so dollars per gallon. “With the ridiculous cost of gas even horses made sense now” (18, ARC). Yet if that is true and people are stealing traffic lights and “sold for scrap metal thieves” (18) then why is it, and how is it, possible that the demon trappers own cars. Like I think almost every one demon trapper that I’ve come across in the novel has a car. And then they bitch about being broke.

Riley is from a long line of demon trappers [not hunters, as hunters think all demons are evil and must be killed whereas trappers merely trap demons, and sell them to get them “purified”]. She’s—what 16, 17?—years old with a smoking body, because we get inner monologues and talks about how pretty she is. I got it, so thanks. She’s also really kick-ass for an apprentice nabbing a level 3 class demon when she’s only allowed to trap a level one. But Riley does get beaten up in these fights and nearly dies at one point. Riley is stubborn and sees very little outside of her own little world. The Demon Trapper’s Daughter offers readers realistic fighting scenes where the good guys get beaten, bruised and bloody. And the possibility death is ever constant.

This is VERY SLIGHT SPOILER so I would advise you to skip this paragraph if you hate spoilers of any kind. Death is a very real thing in The Demon Trapper’s Daughter where one character’s death creates a ripple effect in the trapping world, specifically affecting Riley the most. However, my preference to the way the character’s death is handled is less snark, more grief. A sentence describing the way Riley was in bed for such and such days isn’t effective in drawing out sympathy from the readers especially when the very next scene has Riley a little pissed of for causing her so much trouble. Whatever, it bothered me when I was reading it.

The Demon Trapper’s Daughter is told in two third-person perspective which is good and bad. Bad because one of them annoyed me. It was very repetitive and tiring after a while. Good because it gave a different point of view and set of opinions to the same scene. It also allowed two different reactions and coping mechanisms in regards to the character’s death.

In the novel each demon is categorized by their size, power, and attributes. Oliver does a great job of describing and separating each demon into subclasses and ways to fight them. Yet my problem is where did these demons come from? When did they first appear on Earth? Have they always been there? Have demon trappers existed as long as demons have existed? I’m curious about the over trappers in the world and if there are any aside from Rome.

The Demon Trapper’s Daughter has a set-up for a potential love square. SQUARE! It might be a triangle, or it might be a couple, but it can definitely go anywhere at this point.

Oliver keeps bringing up more questions to the world and another plotline before the previous question was answered. The world building was iffy, but the action top-notch. I found myself having to read the sequel to The Demon Trapper’s Daughter rather than wanting to read the sequel because it interested me so much. While I say that there is a big chance I will not continue with the series.

Cover B- 
everything looks great except for the hand. or whatever that thing is.
Source: Early Review from LibraryThing
Published: 01 February 2011; paperback

UK edition

5 comments:

  1. I recently heard of this one and was very intrigued. It's too bad it tries to accomplish too much, instead of layering in details in preparation for the sequel. I may still read The Demon Trappers Daughter, but I'll keep in mind that I may not love it.

    Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the summary and thought that this was one of the coolest concepts for a book, but then... I don't like it when books blab about how hot the characters are. I've had to deal with it in other books, and it makes me so aggrivated.

    But, who knows. I still might give it a try. Maybe. But probably not.

    Thanks for being honest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I thought this book sounded awesome! I might still read it but I definitely won't buy it. Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was really looking forward to this book, but your review has made me think twice. It sounds like there's a lot of overkill, too much information, without actually telling you anything. Great review though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a bummer. This one sounded so intriguing.

    ReplyDelete