Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Friday, January 21, 2011

You Are Not Here

You Are Not Here by Samantha Schutz

Grade: 3.8 stars out of 5
Annaleah and Brian:
one as the sun,
the other, the planet.
Annaleah revolves around
Brian, but he
has other planets.
His sudden death forced
Annaleah out of orbit;
out of kilter.
You Are Not Here.
Good, well-formatted, but
far from comprehensible.
A girl dealing with grief
that affects many moons:
friends, family, strangers.
The boy seemed nice...
at first.

Brian is a jerk
and I couldn't get past that.
Once it was in my mind,
I couldn't get Annaleah.
I wanted anger from her not
sorrow or depression.
Pure hatred.
But her dealt with grief was
raw and passionate.

I love her many friendships:
strong, caring, and understandable
(except for her relationship with Brian,
which I completely agree with.)

I love her dreams of what could have been
if her father hadn't left,
if Brian had told his friends,
if...
if...
if.

And I love her
getting out of that black hole,
with a pizza pie no less.

Cover C+
It's a personal taste; I'm just sick of symbolic flowers. I do like old cover a bit more and am sad that they changed it because they felt it was too similar Before I Fall. For whatever reason when I see this cover, it reminds me of Laura Weiss's books: Such A Pretty Girl / How It Ends / Leftovers. Especially with Such a Pretty Girl, the covers have some type of object (typically organic) with a solid color background.

Published: 1 October 2010; hardback
old cover

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I can't wait to read this one.

    Also, congrats on almost reaching 1000 followers! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't sound that interesting but what got to me was the poetic thing going on. I may try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was really interesting. I loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete