Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Vampire Crush

Vampire Crush by A.M. Robinson

Grade: 2.8 stars out of 5
Sophie wants to be editor in chief on her school’s newspaper. Her next assignment to prove that she’s capable involves interviewing the group of new kids to the school; a topic that strays off from her normal articles. But these teenagers are different from the rest of the school including her old childhood friend, James, who came back after his parents’ death.
Vampire Crush is what the title sounds like: it involves vampires, involves crushes; fun and flirty and not series. That being said Vampire Crush was not for me. I laughed a lot while reading the novel, but in the end I found the world building and the explanations not up to per.

Sophie doesn’t exactly have that many friends (1 and that’s a maybe) with enough acquaintances. After reading the novel you can kind of understand why. She’s not the friendliest of the bunch with enough sass, sarcasm, and underhandedness that it makes me, the reader, a bit ticked off by her.

James was hot. Well as hot as someone could be without going crazy over the description of his physical appearance. Hot as in personality wise. The baddies were odd. Most of them weren’t exactly baddies but more loners and followers. They had whimsical personalities that were a hoot to read. The family was equally weird to an extent, but just as fun to read.

Now that’s said and done, everything else was a miss. The fantastical elements were lacking definition. The whole with Sophie and Vlad and the pointy star thingy did not work for me. What happened after? How did it affect Sophie? Did Sophie really change!?

Vampire Crush does not bring anything new to the table. Aside from the funny remarks, the novel is unimpressive and lacks the fine tuning.

Cover D-
Would pass by it in a heartbeat if I saw this in a bookstore.
Source: Eleni from @lafemmereaders
Published: 1 January 2011; paperback

4 comments:

  1. think i'll give this one a miss! thanks for the insightful and honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww you didn't like it Yan? I really enjoyed it - different tastes doll ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first read the title and saw the cover I thought this book must be a joke or a parody of some kind. It didn't appeal to me at all and your review confirms that (even though the words "weird" and "sarcastic" did spark my interest a little).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you. This one was a total miss for me too. I was wondering if the author meant for it to be so cheesy. I reviewed it last month if you want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete