Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Friday, December 31, 2010

2011 Expectations: I'll Be There

Hoping to continue with the good fortune of finding some great contemporary novels I started and read I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan [no cover yet unfortunately] last week I believe. For 2011 I'm hoping to get out of my comfort zone of paranormal novels and pick up stories that I would normally not read. I'll Be There was one of those novels that could have gone either way for me, luckily it was magical without the fantasy.

I'll Be There is Sloan's debut novel that will come out in Mary 3, 2011 from Little, Brown and Company.
Raised by an unstable father who keeps the family constantly on the move, Sam Border hasn't been in a classroom since the second grade. He's always been the rock for his younger brother Riddle, who stopped speaking long ago and instead makes sense of the world through his strange and intricate drawings. It's said that the two boys speak with one voice--and that voice is Sam's.

Then, Sam meets Emily Bell, and everything changes. The two share an immediate and intense attraction, and soon Sam and Riddle find themselves welcomed into the Bell's home. Faced with normalcy for the first time, they know it's too good to last.

On the back of the ARC, Jennifer Hunt, Editorial Director for Little, Brown and Company says this:
It's been a long time since I've read a novel that so deftly explores the intricacies of connection and belonging. I was so enchanted from the first page by the captivating storytelling, memorable characters, and voices that literally shimmer off the page.

I won't spoil anybody, but I'll Be There is for those willing to step out of the perfect box. For those who believe in coincidence and fate in the most oddest, but amazing of ways.

First page:
"The days of the week meant nothing to him.

Except Sunday.

Because on Sunday he listened to pipe organs and pianos.

If he was lucky, handheld bells, pounding drums, or electronic beat machines might vibrate while people sang and sometimes clapped and on occasion even stamped their dressed-up feet.

On Sundays, wherever he was, whenever he could, Sam Border woke up early, pulled on his cleanest dirtiest shirt, and went looking for a church.

He didn't believe in religion.

Unless music could be considered a religion. Because he knew God, if there was one, was just not on his side."

That being said I think 2011 is already off to a good start!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. The first page sounds fabulous. I'm adding it to my TBR list now. Thanks for letting us know about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your year is going well so far! The book sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete