Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Mercedes Thompson Series

The Mercedes Thompson Series by Patricia Briggs

Grade: 4 stars out of 5

Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1)Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, Book 2)Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, Book 3)Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson)
Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, Book 5)River Marked (Mercy Thompson, Book 6)

[images link to Amazon]

The Mercedes Thompson series I realized when I only read the first book was something like swallowing gum: Thick, uncomfortable, and difficult to get down. But as I read more and more to the encouragement of readers who said that the second novel was much better than the first I was blown away. This series became addictive; I wanted more and more of Mercy and the wolf pack.

Mercy is a strong heroine like what you would typically find in urban fantasy novels with female point-of-views. I love how she’s slightly different from the rest of the characters as she’s a werecoyote rather than a werewolf that had to be dealt with diffidently. Briggs explains the pack magic and pack rules of wolves and how they differ when taking into consideration coyote. She does this in a way that won’t leave readers utterly confused, frustrated, and on the verge of giving up.

Mercy is ongoing growing character that continues to impress me. For one thing, she doesn’t simply roll over with her belly when a stronger, bigger, guy comes strutting along. She fights for her rights, personal space and territory, and definitely her friends. However, Mercy is not that indestructible superwoman that I am sometimes finding in fantasy novels. This is a future spoiler, but she does get raped and that impacts the novel 100%. Mercy is a girl and is vulnerable to such acts especially when she’s constantly fighting and dealing with males.

I love the continuous of the series similar to a TV series. While the episode might end with a cliffhanger or compact, there is always room for future development. The Mercedes Thompson series leaves readers not with huge cliffhangers, but definitely leaves some lingering questions that most of the time is answered in the next installment.

The love triangle is absolutely part of the continuation throughout the series: Team Adam or Team Sam. I crave these short scenes because they make the book much lighthearted in a heavy action packed series. I am also definitely a Team Adam fan. Spoiler again: I found it too perfect how Sam find his match.

I was encouraged to this series and now I’m encouraging you to read this series if you haven’t had a chance yet. Just be warned that it takes a while to really get into it.


Cover C
I don't think Mercy has all those tattoos and she doesn't dress so openly
Source: personal
I have yet to read 5 and 6, but I plan to really soon

3 comments:

  1. I keep hearing how great Briggs is and mean to check this series out but for some reason I never do. I guess I'll have to give it a chance. I guess I got werewolf/animaled out after reading all the Kitty books by Carrie Vaughn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might try book two then, I read the first one and while I thought it started out interestingly enough, it lost steam for me about halfway through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore this series so much. My favorite by far is book 5. Hope you enjoy once you get a chance to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete