Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Hold Still

Hold Still by Nina LaCour

Grade: 3.5 stars out of 5
Caitlin deals with the sudden suicide of her best friend Ingrid and how it might not be all sudden once she finds Caitlin’s journal.
Hold Still I was told was like amazing and so saddening. I think I’m just a clinical heartless bastard. I did not cry, I did not get teary-eyed or weepy, I did not sniffle or anything else associated with tragic news.

Hold Still is a good tale of the aftermaths of a suicide and how far the ripple effect reached. Yet I had trouble understanding wonderfulness that of which is Ingrid. I couldn’t comprehend this attraction between Caitlin and Taylor. I felt like I was playing a guessing game. Is the correct answer to this question/emotion/reason this? Am I forging my own tale within an already written tale?

I love the incorporation of Caitlin’s journal, the raw handwriting, and the approachable doodles. I love the motif of photography and how it captures that one perfect moment. I love the grip of Caitlin’s loneliness, lost of control, and over consuming bouts of grief that makes it sense as if every step forward takes you two steps back. I love the movement from the dark to the light in forms of a new classmate and her girlfriend instead of potentially shifting further into the dark.

And yes, Hold Still deals with issues of interracial relationships and controversy of gay couples.

Despite all these ‘love’, I am indifferent to Hold Still. While some may linger on after finishing the novel, I can easily detach myself.

Cover B
Source: personal
Published: 5 October 2010; paperback

3 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I read a novel and I love many parts of it but as a whole I'm kind of indifferent to it like you said. It's kind of a weird feeling I never really know where to place. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you have this mixed up. Ingrid was the one who committed suicide not Caitlin

    ReplyDelete