Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Breakfast at Bloomingdale’s

Breakfast at Bloomingdale’s by Kristen Kemp (November 1st 2009—Scholastic)

Grade: 3 stars out of 5

Summary: Kat's come to New York City with a dream: to be a big fashion designer and to see her name on a label in Bloomingdale's. Back in Kentucky, she imagined a city paved in Prada…but the reality isn't quite so fashionable. Still, there are friends to be made, boys to be flirted with, and amazements to be found…sometimes when she least expects it. Even when her lame hick boyfriend from back home comes to the city to try to reclaim her, Kat knows she's found her place…now all she has to do is have the place find her back.”

Review: First off the summary is from Amazon. Secondly Amazon needs to fix their mistake because Cat is spelled with a C not a K, unless of course the entire book was wrong.

Breakfast at Bloomingdale’s is a refreshing read to an otherwise dull day. It is filled with humorous adventures, passionate dreams, and a hot clown—ohlalala.

Cat’s grandmother, Nina, just passed away so she’s out to pursue their dream: to have a line in Bloomingdale called Breakfast. Inspired by Breakfast at Tiffany’s Audrey Hepburn’s best friend, Holly, this girl can create a corset in 48 hours, cut, sewn, and hem a dress in less than 5 hours! Holy smokes. And she’s seventeen! With a good amount of money Cat travels to New York City and meets a heedful of unique group of people though I question the safety of befriending this people so quickly in such a large city. Breakfast in Bloomingdale’s is an outlandish book that made me smile even if it confused me sometimes. Endearing, crazy, and chic all in one.

However the book goes off tangent quite frequently. Not in the hey that’s an interesting tidbit you just shared, but more in the what the heck are you talking and wherever it came from please put it back as it means nothing to me. Then there are times where the author skips certain information so now you’re re-reading scenes just in case you missed something then realized you didn’t.

I would have like to see some of the sketches of the designs incorporated into the book because I was LOST when they were describing the clothing. I’m not a fashion guru, I watched enough seasons to catch the Tim Gunn reference and general sewing techniques and objects, but when you describe a clothing line for goth children I immediately conjure up an image of black and deep purple diapers. With fishnets. And heavy dark eye shadow. And I do not think that was the author’s intention.

Cover A-
I like this cover.

10 comments:

  1. The paperback cover is so much better than the hardback! I read it back when it was a hardcover, and I can't say that I enjoyed it. Too slow for my taste, but great review on your behalf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the honest review, I don't think I would really enjoy this to be honest. Although the cover is really girly and cute.

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  3. This kinda sounds similar to the Queen of babble series by Meg Cabot. Which is one of my favorites! You should check that out if you havent read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good review. This is on by TBR pile. It sounds fun, but maybe a little fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi! all friends happy new year don't forget visit my blog too and your site is so good I always visit it everyday, you update so quick !

    freedowload

    missworld

    sexcry

    thanks you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forex Avenger - I heard about Forex Avenger a lot is it good? It seems Forex avenger is giving a lot of profits to many forex investors as i have read all the reviews of Forex Avenger and would like to purchase it, any tips for Forex Avenger ?
    [url=http://forexrobot-review.info]best forex software[/url] [url=http://cjservices.net/TaxDiscussion/viewtopic.php?p=20097#20097]unlock iphone[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoying reading the posts here, thanks[url=http://www.15rounds.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=21622
    ].[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love coming here and reading about all the intresting things on this site everyday. There is nothing better than learning how to make money online and coming here really helps. Another place I go to that teaches me how to make money online through many different verticals like Blackhat seo , Blackhat, SEO , WhiteHat, Internet Marketing , affiliate marketing, blackhat money maker, the list goes on with this site but one thing for sure ever since the econmoy has gotten so bad and the recession has set in with out your site here and this site.
    [URL="http://www.moneymakerdiscussion.com/forum/"]Blackhat[/URL] There is nothing better than learning how to make money online and coming here really helps. Another place I go to that teaches me how to make money online through many different verticals like Blackhat seo , Blackhat, SEO , WhiteHat, Internet Marketing , affiliate marketing, blackhat money maker, the list goes on with this site but one thing for sure ever since the econmoy has gotten so bad and the recession has set in with out your site here and this site. If your truly needing to make some extra cash these sites can help you better than any other online.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi all

    I figured it would be a good idea to introduce myself to everyone!

    Can't wait to start some good conversations!

    -Marshall

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good day!

    It is my first time here. I just wanted to say hi!

    ReplyDelete