Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Friday, January 8, 2010

The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (Harcourt)

Grade: 4 stars out of 5

Summary: “A most untraditional love story, this is the celebrated tale of Henry DeTamble, a dashing, adventurous librarian who involuntarily travels through time, and Clare Abshire, an artist whole life takes a natural sequential course. Henry and Clare’s passionate affair endures across a sea of time and captures them in an impossibly romantic trap that tests the strength of fate and basks in the bonds of love.”

Review: Wow—this book floored me. It was the intricacy of the whole tale that blew me away. I could only imagine how the outline of The Time Traveler’s Wife was a ’itch to create. Niffenegger moved the plot forward, planned what was to come—how it affects this and that—insert a few flashbacks of what you already know--heartbreaks, heartaches, heart confused—then bam! you’re back to where you started out from. It’s like taking a ninja with the general shape to a circle in the middle yet there are other pathways you can take, somehow leading yourself back to the original road.

Both characters were quite strong (even if the reader dislikes them at times) with plenty of faults. Clare is always waiting for Henry, during her youth and during her marriage, for he always disappears. I felt my heart being tugged while she tries to retain that hope and vigilance. But what really tugged my heart was Alba. Opps. Mild spoiler alert.

Okay it’s rather hard to write this review. *waves arms around* There, poof, we’re done. At any rate I want to ask the people who’ve read the book and watched the movie. Which was better? Or were they both great in different aspects?

16 comments:

  1. Read the book and loved it. Haven't had the chance to watch the movie yet but I definitely want to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend is actually doing a report on this, compared to Wuthering Heights. I personally don't think I will enjoy it too much particularly but who knows. ><

    ReplyDelete
  3. I much preferred the book! It's one of my favourites. The film was okay, but I don't think it translated well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this when it first came out and loved it. I think I want to re-read it. I haven't watched the film yet though

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is my all time favourite book, I read it once a year. Have stayed away from the film because I have so many feelings towards the characters and the storyline that I dont want the film to tarnish them

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder where the ninja comparison comes from. I'm gonna watch the movie this weekend! *excited*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really, really loved this book. And the movie had some differences, and I don't think that it was as meaningful/good for people who hadn't read the book, but it captured a lot of what I loved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought this book last week, and can't wait to read it !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't seen the movie yet but I loved the book. It was one of my best reads in 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The book is definitely better than the movie. The pacing of the movie was kinda fast and some key parts in the book were cut off. But I guess it must be hard to turn such a book into a movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Only four stars Yan?! The book is so great! (and better than the movie but it's worth watching I think).

    And here's a TTW timeline which is fun to look at: http://youknowjack.fivewells.com/archives/2006/01/time_travelers.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love this book. One of my all-time favorites! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

    The movie was a bit better than I thought it was going to be (I thought they were seriously going to botch it up.) But it's still nothing compared to the book. The overall... feeling and atmosphere are quite different. Still worth checking out though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to read this book. Guess I should watch the movie first to see if I like the plot ^^

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was in Orlando when I saw the movie trailer for the first time. I totally fell in love with the film. It was in July, 2009. I didn't even know there was a book. I got too much excited to see the film and I haven't even seen it yet. I'm still hoping for the book until the DVD doesn't release. But I definitely HAVE to read the book. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Since I rarely read anything other than YA, I've been hesitating over reading this. The fact that you really liked it is definitely encouraging. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know! This book totally floored me, too!
    Why only 4 out of 5?
    I haven't seen the movie yet, though I just recently obtained a copy, so I'm hoping that will happen soon!

    ReplyDelete