Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Monday, April 26, 2010

Read, Remember, and Recommend

Read, Remember, and Recommend: A Reading Journal for Book Lovers by Rachelle Rogers Knight

Source: Publishers (because my blog is under the resource section yay! and for tour)

Read, Remember, and Recommend is a personal book journal; a log of what you've read, some books you might want to read, and resources to visit to find new reads!

Aside from the tabs, there is a table of contents page, which outlines the entire journal for you. Rachelle Knight makes it a priority to organize the journal for an easier time yet still adding vibrancy with bright colored dividers.

What I love most about this journal is its table of awarded books. It lists the title, the age recommendation, and whether you own it, was recommended to you, if it's a to-read books or you want it. This is great for parents because you know exactly what your children is allowed to read or should not read. Parents can keep a log for their child's progress and gives the children a sense of accomplishment to say 'wow I really read that many books'. Keeping them motivated is essential. It can, however, backfire because there is a great deal of titles, awards, table after table after table. And while this may be a preference because I can't imagine the cost would be behind this, but I would have liked to see various colors in the key map regarding age groups: juvenile nonfiction=gray; juvenile fiction=darker gray; fiction=even darker gray; nonfiction=black.

The next sections are the "Journal Pages" where you list the books you've read, some words that you didn't know and should define later, thoughts when you read the book and so forth. I read more books than the typical person would so the space given for the books you've read is small. The table spans for about 4 pages; in an estimation that would be about a year's worth of titles, maybe less, for me.

Rachelle Knight has a creative mind I tell you that! I think I laughed out loud when I saw the "Loaner List" section. I've been lending out books more frequently than rather and often times to more than one person. So this section is extremely helpful to me because my brain needs all the memory cell it has.

But again I would just like to reiterate that this journal is perfect for new and younger readers (despite slightly going against what the title of the journal states). The last few pages, before the index, are literary terms. It mentions various types of characterization , denouncement, plot devices, metaphors, types of point of views, irony! and so much more.

Parents should really consider this journal for their children. It's helpful, informative, and safe (look no paper cuts yet! ;P). Bibliophiles might find themselves running out of space and should consider buying new journals yearly (but I wonder if there'll be replacement pacts...). Just don't try to mail these journals in the mail.... My spine is not functioning as it should be (since I know how it should look, but it doesn't want to stay in that position) and I'm finding things that stick out being heavily creased.
P.S. Have you entered the giveaway to win your own copy of this journal? If you haven't be sure to! Just follow the link and type in your email address--it's that simple.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the great review of my journal. I'll make sure to pass all of your comments along to Sourcebooks.

    Happy reading!
    Rachelle (Bibliobabe)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah that sounds great. I really want to own one ^^

    ReplyDelete