Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Desires of the Dead

Desires of the Dead by Kimberly Derting

Grade: 3 stars out of 5
Violet Ambrose has the ability to find dead bodies through their echoes. She can also find the ones who killed by their imprints. This may be a “cool” trick for some people to talk about, Violet doesn’t think so. But her ability has attracted the FBI and her bestfriend turned boyfriend has attracted a rival for Violet that wants her gone.
Having read the prequel, The Body Finder and was less than amazed, I went in reading Desires of the Dead with a held breath. I came out. Here’s the thing, Desires of the Dead does not impress at all if you were to focus of the thriller/mystery genre. By page 60 I already figured out who the supposed “killer” and the one who wanted Jay all to herself was. It wasn’t hard frankly speaking. As a coming-of-age and romance novel, it fairs much better.

Jay and Violet really connect to each other, but it’s almost too sweet. Yet I seem to have a sweet tooth and find myself with a smile cheesy grin on my face. They’re adorable together, what can I say.

Back to the crime thriller aspect of the novel: there’s a small twist that isn’t so obvious with puts very contemporary issue of the forefront. Not the killing part I mean. The FBI shtick was only an introduction it seemed. There are plenty of open-ended questions and new characters that need more developing for me to get a grasp of.

Desires of the Dead sets the tone for a chapter with Violet.

Source: unsolicited ARC from HarperTeen
Cover D
still don't understand the concept of these flowers being on the cover
Published: 2011 March 1; hardback

4 comments:

  1. Haven't read the first book, haven't decided if I want to read this series at the moment. I'll probably check them out at the library because I can't seem to stop looking at the pretty covers! :)

    Thanks for the review - I totally know what you mean about sweet tooths!...teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really?! I loved The Body Finder, and Desires of the Dead. I got both of them as ARCs, and I love, love, love them! That's so funny, how one person can love a book and another person isn't crazy about it at all :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the flowers are supposed to represent certain echos. That's what some of them might look like.

    I thought the first book was okay, I'm not exactly excited for book 2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't read the first book, haven't decided if I want to read this series at the moment. I'll probably check them out at the library because I can't seem to stop looking at the pretty covers! :) 2945abc45 0217

    ReplyDelete