Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Miles Between

The Miles Between by Mary E. Pearson

Grade: 4 stars out of 5
Destiny Faraday wants just one fair day where the good guy wins. For that to happen Des is going on a joy-ride with 3 other kids from school--acquaintances and friends--where they try to find that "fair" day.
The Miles Between, I will admit I shied away because a) the cover and b) the synopsis. With a new cover and the positive reviews I've read about Pearson, I'd jumped at the chance to review the paperback edition of the book. I was surprised. I liked the book quite a lot. The Miles Between asks from the readers to put reason in the wind and let life take its course--believable or coincidently it may be. Once I let go of my hold on the why's and how's I became immersed in the story of Destiny.

Destiny has a little hobby obsession. She collects these random too-coincidental-to-be-true facts. At first I found these little stories to be fun and kind of cool, but they bore me as the chapters went by. Maybe because I've heard of some of them before or maybe because of the way it was told through one big paragraph.

What The Miles Between that I constantly look forward in most books were the unique and structurally unsafe characters. I like my characters a little kooky in the head if you know what I mean.There's just something fun about all 4 characters that I wanted to be friends with. As the passages continue, there is light shed onto the backgrounds of the characters that makes them stronger. Destiny's tale will shock some readers. Destiny's actions and motives behind each step are emotional, but told as if Destiny was a hard candy with a soft center.

As I seem to be blabbering on about nothing and everything in-between I'll leave a few parting words: take a chance, read The Miles Between if you believe in coincidence.

Source: InGroup
Cover C+
while I like the paperback cover more than the hardback cover there's still something off about it
Published: 2011 January 4; paperback
Amazon [hardback on bargain]

6 comments:

  1. This sounds really good, I hadn't heard much about it before!

    I like the paperback cover better than the hardcover, too.

    Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary E. Pearson has never disappointed me with her novels. I still need to read this one which I'm really looking forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only ever read one other book by Pearson, but I had debated buying this one time and again. I may have to get it with the new paperback cover now.

    Kooky characters always draw me in more than the average person, so I'll have to check this one out. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Pearson, but haven't picked this one up yet . . . mostly due to the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like the hardcover or paperback cover, but I remember enjoying this book. I'm with you - kooky narrators are always favorites of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kooky characters always draw me in more than the average person, so I'll have to check this one out. Great review. 2945abc45 0217

    ReplyDelete