Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Where She Went

Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Grade: 4 stars out of 5
It’s been three years since Adam has last seen Mia after her recovery from the car crash that killed her entire family. Since then Adam and the rest of the band has risen like a phoenix from its ashes. They’ve made it big: platinum albums, concepts across the globe, trashy articles. But even surrounded by millions of fans, Adam is as lonely as ever. Mia has changed as well. She is now an up-and-coming cellist who is already starting to tour as well whose momentum is just propelling forward. In a little more than 24 hours before Adam leaves to London Adam finds himself attending one of Mia’s concerts. Breath-taking and so achingly similar to the Mia he once knew. As Mia and Adam reconnect after three long years the question becomes: why did I stay?
Where She Went has the same evanescent feeling like If I Stay of drifting on a feather through the novel …through a hailstorm. The novel is told through present times and reflects on the past. The time shifts back and forth as both Mia and Adam recalled what happened after the car crash. The car crash affected them deeply; Mia’s guilt of being the sole survivor had created a chain reaction with Adam being part of the spiral. If I Stay was pure love; Where She Went was raw anguish—powerful and destructive.

Forman is, without saying, a superb writing creating the life of Adam and his ups and downs. He is an arrogant, pompous, and general ass to the reporters while one look from Mia can turn his life upside down. Forman has taken the description of paranoia to a private art as the first person narration made me feel as though everyone is out to get Adam.

Where She Went was a private novel between Mia and Adam. Adam’s inner workings were in constant movement, debating this and that. Some aspects of the novel I felt were forced while others fell into each other too perfectly. The ending was wrapped too quickly and too nicely in my opinion. Other than that Where She Went was a great sequel to the impressive If I Stay. Side note: love the brilliant titles!

Source: unsolicited ARC from Dutton
Cover B+
Published: 5 April 2011; hardcover

9 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this second book. I wasn't sure how Ms. Foreman was going to manage to keep the tempo given that the first book is so dramatic. It was good. Dark and a little unrealistic, but a nice way to leave these characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still need to read If I Stay. I even managed to check it out from the library once but had to return it before I could read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definely can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really looking forward to reading this book. I wasn't crazy about If I Stay - maybe because I just don't usually like sad books - but I am so curious to know how things turned out for Mia and Adam!

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually don't like sad books either, but I'm always willing to give something new a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to read this one, I loved the first one so much! Great review

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really really really want to read this! Glad you liked it!
    Check out my blog:
    http://thebookbell.blogspot.com
    Thanks!
    Blake (The Book Bell)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! i'm a new follower via GFC! love the blog and can't wait to read more! this book looks great!

    hope you check out mine and follow me too!! =]

    http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for a great review! I can't wait until this novel comes out.
    Scarlette

    ReplyDelete