Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Mini-review of The Hunchback Assignment

The Hunchback Assignments (#1) and The Dark Deeps (#2) by Arthur Slade

Grade: 4 stars out of 5

The series contains all the necessary element for a good middle grade adventure story. It comprises of 70% adventure, 25% action, and 5% romance. As the title of the book suggests the main protagonist of the book is the hunchback from the Notre Dame but with a new superpower of shape-shifting and a name. The book is told primary from Modo, the hunchback's, point of view and occasionally, secondary characters. The story is very similar to the Alex Rider series; agents from the government send out to spy on the enemy, get into a predicament and at the end everything work out okay. The series is pretty much run of the mill middle grade adventure book, which I think it is a plus since they are so rare.

--written by my brother. he has a way with words doesn't he? ;)

Source: The Hunchback Assignments purchased myself; The Dark Deeps was an unsolicited review copy from Wendy Lamb Books
Cover A
Published: August 24, 2010 (paperback); September 14, 2010 (hardcover)

Typically my action/adventure books will be passed onto my brother since a) I'm not a huge fan of those genre if there isn't romance involved and b) my brother is a huge fan of MG action books with little/no romance.

4 comments:

  1. I am so addicted to this series. There is a lot more going on here than just the adventure. There is unrequited love and the emotional turmoil that Modo goes through because of his disfigurement and how that colors all his relationships. Don't think that there is no romance, it just has an uphill battle to climb before it can come to fruition.

    Steampunk is a fantastic genre and has some of the best stories in new books and series in YA. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually really like this series and haven't seen too many bloger reviews of it. The third book is coming out next month in Canada so I'm excited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat! I hadn't heard of this one. I'll have to remember it when I finally read The Hunchback of Notre-Dame

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a coincidence! I just finished reading the book a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say that I agree. It's a nice little series. I'll have to read more of it.

    ReplyDelete