Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Flying Blind

Flying Blind by Deborah Cooke

Grade: 4 stars out of 5
There is only one Wyvern of the Pyr at a time and Zoë Sorensson is that lone female dragon shape-shifter. That is when and hopefully all her powers start to manifest. It is already proven that Zoë can shift when in a fit of rage, Zoë shifted to defend her friend against bullies. But controlling her powers and not letting the white hot blind rage take over will be Zoë’s biggest issue. Maybe the camping trip with the other shape-shifters will help things along.
In her debut young-adult series, Deborah Cooke already proves that she can string the readers in a sky-high tale. Make no mistake, readers will not want to be “Flying Blind” when delving into this new series or else miss all the actions, juicy romances, and dangerous twists and turns. Mystic powers, cryptic dreams, and a hot guy with an equally hot motorcycle make Flying Blind a joy to read.

Before Flying Blind, I already had a few books about Wyverns under my belt. And yet, Flying Blind was so much different because Cooke focused on structuring the story and building upon itself. Rather than concentrating on appearance and those small insignificant details, Cooke takes the time to engage the reader in the history of the shape-shifters. And what a history it is. I must admit I have a love-hate relationship with Romeo and Juliet coupling and was so pleased to find that Flying Blind does feature that, but not as the focal point. That’s not to say Cooke doesn’t take the effort to extend the reaches of the history. Opposing enemies and other shape-shifters play a large role in Flying Blind with just enough background information and motive to make actions plausible and the storyline fleshed out.

Zoë and the rest of the gang were a joy to read. Readers will get a feel on their different personalities and shortcomings within the first several chapters but I’m expecting more in the upcoming sequels. I can already imagine a romance budding out to be quite steamy if the smoldering looks weren’t enough. That being said, Cooke has the potential to do a lot with the relationships: romantic ones, friendships, family connections, etc. Tons to dissect. Though I wish the best friend would be included more, but the sequel should definitely make up for that.

I desperately want fun dialogues between two people in the near future just to get a sense of where they stand and how balance their relationship can be. What I find lacking in the novels I read are the simple everyday talk, not the whole stay ‘away I’m no good for you’ or ‘the his eyes pierced through my soul’ (gag). Fun, teasing bantering that reflects personality and can convey emotions. Flying Blind does include some great dialogue scenes where things become filled with tension, red rage starts to cover characters’ eyes, and long drawn out anguish takes over. Now I’m just waiting for the softer approach.

Okay before I end this review I must, must mention families and what it means in Flying Blind. Yes! to dads taking a center stage in a YA novel. I’ve read tons of novels where the mothers are seen more and the fathers are somewhere in the background. In Flying Blind fathers rule the air.

Cover C+/B-
Published: 2011 June 7; paperback
Source: review copy from NAL

2 comments:

  1. I really can't wait for this one. I have read her adult series so I can't wait to see the world through Zoe's eyes. =)

    ReplyDelete