Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Will Work for Prom Dress

Will Work for Prom Dress by Aimee Ferris

Grade: 4 stars out of 5

I love watching reality/competition shows like Project Runway. Will Work for Prom Dress was a dream come true for me because it corporate an easy fun, fashion inspired work of fiction to help make time pass more enjoyable. However, that was not the case. Will Work for Prom Dress was more than that.
Girls dream of their perfect dress may it be for their wedding or prom just like Quigley. But the perfect dress does not come cheap, which is why Quigley needs a job (after being fired from her old one because of an incident). She and best friend, Ann, are hired to be…models! It may sound glamorous if you had the figure like Ann who immediately attracts the attention of all the fashion designers, but when you’re just a regular teen like Quigley it’s mortifying.  Luckily there’s Zander who’s willing to take a chance on Quigley and it might just be a win-win situation for the both of them.
Will Work for Prom Dress takes a simple narrative that evokes a sense of fun and nostalgia. When I read Will Work for Prom Dress I remember the frustration of being a reasonably price prom dress that still looked fun and flirty. Readers’ like me can connect to Quigley through the ups and downs. However what Quigley does have what I never had was working with a designer (a student) and if you think all male designers are gay, you are so wrong. Zander appreciates Quigley’s beauty and crafted molds clothes that fit her body. Quigley and Zander collaborate and find a balance where it embraced both of their talents.

I would advise that readers of Will Work for Prom Dress have some vague notion of dress materials or things related to fashion designing. While there were not many instances that could confuse readers, a little outside knowledge definitely would not hurt.

As I mentioned before Will Work for Prom Dress offers a “more” than what is face value.

There’s a rivalry between Quigley and another art student. The rivalry becomes confusing when the student shows a romantic interest in Quigley and rejection meant more than hurt feelings. Won’t spoil anything huge, but love triangles can always be fun when the main character doesn’t even realize it. The ending, however, was just a bit too much. It offered too much of a happily ever after that borders on the impossible.

With Zander there’s an allure of mystery behind him. He has a past that tucks itself nicely into the story without being an overpowering focal point.

The friendship between Ann and Quigley was nicely done and one of better, equal, friendships I’ve read.

In all Will Work for Prom Dress a fun first time read and fills the craving I have for fashion and sweet crushes. While I do not plan on reading it again seeing as how it misses that spark that pulls you in and a climax that made the novel so worth it, I found Will Work for Prom Dress to be enjoyable.

Cover B
Published: 2011 February 8; paperback
Source: review copy from publicity firm

3 comments:

  1. i always love characters with Z names :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one looks really cute, and your review totally confirmed that :) I think it'll be an awesome light contemp, I'll e rquesting this at the library :) thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I haven't heard of this. Sounds cute. I am off to add it to my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete