Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Never Sit Down in a Hoopskirt and Other Things I Learned in Southern Belle Hell

cuter in person
Never Sit Down in a Hoopskirt and Other Things I Learned in Southern Belle Hell by Cricket Rumley

Grade: 3.5 stars out of 5  

Never Sit Down in a Hoopskirt and Other Things I Learned in Southern Belle Hell speaks for itself. Charming and funny with a sassy protagonist that’s sure to keep things lively. Never Sit Down in a Hoop Skirt brings to attention the life of the wealthy with their many connections, racial tension, and the pressure of being truthful to yourself while still trying to please others.
Jane Fontaine Ventouras has gone through countless boarding schools until eventually she ends up back South to her grandmother. Not only is Jane expected to turn over a new leaf, but she has to participate in the Magnolia Maid pageant. Is this a nightmare or what?
Jane is one smart aleck who has had difficult past: a father who is in and out of her life because of work and a mother who passed away from a disease. Her history may be the reason why Jane has a hard shell to crack and why I have a little tear in my eye in one scene. But never say Jane isn’t fair when it comes to people; Jane defends the other belles when trouble comes around and isn’t afraid to speak her mind.

The progression of the novel mainly features Jane’s growth and her acceptance into the role as a leader who steps out of traditions. Along the way, Jane starts to connect to her mother in a way she never imagined. Jane and the other belles pull antics that will leave readers chortling and waiting for whatever happens next. Getting to that point, however, was not all rainbows and flowers; expect fierce attitudes, stiff competition and one mother who perfected passive aggressiveness.

Never Sit Down in a Hoopskirt and Other Things I Learned in Southern Belle Hell was one heck of a book about girl power and finding your roots.

Cover B+/A-
Published: 2011 June 14; paperback
Source: review copy from publicity firm

2 comments:

  1. Yay! It makes me happy to see this on another blog. ;) I took a chance on it and I was so happy I did. Jane made me laugh so many times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy you enjoyed this- it looks so fun! I can't wait to read my copy. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete