Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Rules of Attraction


Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles (April 13th 2010—Walker)

Grade: 3 stars out of 5

Source: Borrowing from Gail.

Summary: “Carlos Fuentes doesn't want any part of the life his older brother, Alex, has laid out for him in Boulder, Colorado. He wants to keep living on the edge, and carve his own path?just like Alex did. Unfortunately, his ties to a Mexican gang aren't easy to break, and he soon finds himself being set up by a drug lord.
When Alex arranges for Carlos to live with his former professor and his family to keep him from being sent to jail, Carlos feels completely out of place. He's even more thrown by his strong feelings for the professor's daughter, Kiara, who is nothing like the girls he's usually drawn to. But Carlos and Kiara soon discover that in matters of the heart, the rules of attraction overpower the social differences that conspire to keep them apart.

As the danger grows for Carlos, he's shocked to discover that it's this seemingly All-American family who can save him. But is he willing to endanger their safety for a chance at the kind of life he's never even dreamed possible?”

Review: Rules of Attraction oh long I’ve waited for this moment. When the news of a sequel to the coveted Perfect Chemistry reached the ears of the blogging world it was sheer mayhem. Which was what?—like 2 to 3 months ago? Now I finally had a copy of this sucker in my grubby hands and it crumbled. It was just…so scandalous! Take the romance what you know from Perfect Chemistry and amplify that to the tenth power and add raging teenage hormones.

It’s been several months since I last skimmed Perfect Chemistry so forgive me if this was prominent in there as well as I did not warn you (but I believe it wasn’t so in-your-face). Rules of Attraction had a heavy heaping of sexual tensions, two almost sex scenes, and one actual sex scene thing. Before anyone says anything there was no mention of the P-word or the V-word or any of that sorts. Rules of Attraction is for older teens or just really mature teens, comprende? Fans of romance will rejoice, but this takes away from the actual storyline to me.

Carlos Fuentes is trying to change his life after some…incidents…occur. Kiara is just what he needs; she’s a strong minded female that won’t swoon to the likes of him (very much that is). The relationship between these two is a bundle of joy. They balance each other out and give readers plenty to laugh at. With the addition of Tuck, Kiara’s (gay) best friend, there are scenes that are laugh out loud funny. (And if you’ve read it already did you think the Ultimate Frisbee was funny?).

As for Kiara’s family, well they are in their own categories. Elkeles seems to also craft her secondary characters wonderfully just as with Paco from Perfect Chemistry. Alex and Brittany also make quite a reappearance that gives previous readers still something to smile about.

Overall: The reason why the grade is fairly average to low was because I’ve seen most of this before...in Perfect Chemistry.

Cover B

12 comments:

  1. I've been excited to read this. I hope its not too similar to Perfect Chemistry but at least I'm aware of it now. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to read this one, I figured at least a bit it would be similar to perfect chemistry but I just love the way Ms. Elkeles tells a story! :) Great review...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved Perfect Chemistry and I'd be okay with a bit of a rehash. Definitely reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason I'm not interested in either Perfect Chemistry or its sequel...does that make me a bad person? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm excited for this book. Perfect Chemistry was so great. I won't mind if they're similar in a few aspects but then again, I don't want them to be the same. Thanks for the review Yan! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually agree with your rating. It is basically Perfect Chemistry the second with more sex. I was surprised by how graphic some of that was. O_O

    ok im off to take a showah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol. Great review, Yan.

    Along with everyone else and their dog, I'm looking forward to this one. PC 2.0--we'll see how it goes.

    Happy to hear it's funny and that they balance each other out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh scandalous! What a fun way to describe a book! Sad that it's basically Perfect Chemistry done again, though. . .I've still got to read Perfect Chemistry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am really looking forward to reading this one. And I totally know what you mean, sometimes I read some YA books that have sex scenes that actaully take away from the plot. I hope its not too much for me in this book!!! Great Review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this book and this review made me eager to read it (Ultimate frisbee scene?!) but I did suspect that it was going to be a lot similr to Perfect Chemsitry, I love that Brittany & Alex make an appearance though :)

    LOL that it's steamier. Thanks for the warning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohh! Can't wait to read this. I loved Perfect Chemistry and I was a bit afraid that this might be a repeat. But still can't wiat

    ReplyDelete
  12. I pretty much expected a very similar story to "Perfect Chemistry," so I don't think I'll be too disappointed in this one. Thanks for warning me though.

    ReplyDelete