Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Monday, March 29, 2010

Something Like Fate


Something Like Fate by Susane Colasanti (May 12th 2010—Viking)

Grade: 2.8 stars out of 5

Summary: “Lani and Erin are bonded for life. One thing that connects them is their fascination of fate. Lani wonders how much of our lives has already been decided and how much we can actually influence. Since the Unknown can unexpectedly change our lives forever, how much can we really control?

From the minute Lani meets Jason, she can't deny the intense connection they share. It feels like she's known him forever. She's not sure if he feels it, too. But it doesn't matter. Because Jason is Erin's boyfriend. Lani is determined to ignore her feelings for Jason, no matter how powerful they are, rather than risk hurting her best friend.

How long can Lani keep running from the boy who might be her destiny?”

Review: Something Like Fate is a typical YA novel of two best friends after the same guy. One takes the initiative and asks said guy, Jason, out. He agrees. But then the best friend of said girl, Lani, begins talking to him and finds out that she likes him…and he likes her back. They talk more, with Erin’s consent, and finds out that they have a lot in common! Like a freakish amount of things in common (I’m still wrapping my mind around the common oddities). So when the girl goes away, the cats will play. Jason’s and Lani’s relationship is refreshing and ever so endearing (awhhh). But when Erin comes back things go downhill….

It was within the last few chapters that things get out of hand. Erin is a complete ’itch. Lani needs to stop being a pushover but they are times where I applaud her. To make amends for stealing her ex-boyfriend (yeah, ex), Erin tells Lani to stop seeing Jason, which she compiles. Excuse me for a second while I scream. Seriously!? Are you daft woman? In the very next line, Erin tells Lani that is yet to be forgiven and ignores her for the next several days at school. So the purpose of not seeing Jason is…?

I dislike the ending very much so. It was way too fast. Erin apologies, Lani forgives; Lani apologies, Erin forgive; then cry and hug. That’s it. I did not see much character development for the majority.

There were some characters that I found really enjoyable to read: Blake and Connor. Blake is gay but no one knows about it and Connor is from Canada (yay Canadians). They add a touch of serenity and whimsical humor at times that added much to the dialogues. I love the fact that Blake was able to forgive and grow whereas Connor is sweet, caring, and a steady rock.

Cover B
It may seem strange now with the ice cream poster but it will make sense later on.

Special thanks goes to Ka-Yam for sending this to me! (even if I did not like it very much...)

3 comments:

  1. Arg! I'm reading this one right now and I really don't like it. I'm kind of dreading the negative review that I know is coming. I was really disappointed by this one, especailly since I love Susane Colasanti. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way about this book...it wasn't that great. Susane Colasanti's first book was good, but it seems like everything that's come out since that first book has just been blah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susane Colasanti is a very talented writer. I've read some of her books and have not been disappointed yet. This book, like her others has an amazing love story that many can relate too.

    ReplyDelete