Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Friday, March 5, 2010

A Season of Eden

A Season of Eden by JM Warwick (October 20th 2008—Grove Creek)

Source: Traded/Swapped

Grade: 2.5 stars out of 5

Summary: “He's my teacher. I shouldn't be alone with him. But I can't help that he's irresistible. I let the door silently close at my back. He stared at me, and a taut quiet stretched between us. "I like hearing you play," I said, moving toward him. He turned, in sync with my slow approach. He looked up at me but didn't say anything. I rested my clammy hand on the cold, slick body of the baby grand. "May I?" The muscles in his throat shifted, then he swallowed. "Eden." My knees weakened, like a soft tickling kiss had just been blown against the backs of them. "Is it okay?" I asked. His gaze held mine like two hands joined. He understood what I was really asking. "Let me stay," I said. "Please." "You're going to get me in trouble," he said.”

Review: By now I’ve read several reviews exclaiming that A Season of Eden was an exceptional read and I believed them. So of course I was gleeful when I finally managed to grab a copy for my hands, but my smile turned upside down. A Season of Eden started out hard for me. First came the “love at first sight”. Secondly came the “stalking”. Everything else was fine; I just had issues with those.

Love at first sight is an easy escape for an author. No need for the general build-up, the characters to mingle, but just one glance at his blue-green eyes and they fall. Typically I wouldn’t mind it as much, but with such a small book there was hardly any room for character growth and relationship growth. What we had in the beginning was basically what we were left with in the end. The stalking speaks for itself. There were a few awkward transitions, a tad smidgen of over-dramatized scenes, and poor editing skills done in the book.

To those who've enjoyed it, that's fantastic! It just was not for me clearly.

Cover B

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the quick review. I don't think it is one to interest me though I am always curious about the studentxteacher aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair enough, we're all into different things (I mean, I kind of hated the book Wicked Lovely & Thirteen Little Blue Envelopes while everyone else seems to adore them). =P

    I didn't read it as being "love at first sight" though - or even love at all. It was lust and kind of obsession and intense like (and I've known girls who do the stalking thing when they like a guy - like going past his house, making excuses to go to where he works and stuff like that, just to see him).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually really enjoyed this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's why I love blogging...I loved this book, you did not...yet we can all express out own individual feelings and not have to be judged harshly for them.

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had this for a long time and just haven't gotten around to it. It sounded interesting but now I'm even more hesitant to start it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete