Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Soulless

Soulless by Gail Carriger (October 1st 2009—Orbit)

Grade: 4.5 stars out of 5

Summary: “Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette.

Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire -- and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate.

With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?”

Review: I expected greatness from this book. I expected a holy crap, ohmyeffinggodthisissogood! moment. I expected coming out from this book that I would pretty much find Gail Carriger, hold her tea hostage and demand the sequel. And by golly I got what I wanted! And yes, this review will be so improper that it won’t even make sense. I will also have you know that this particular document file has been open then closed so often that it’s been several months since I last read the book.

Soulless’s biggest selling point was the narration. The voice was equal parts charm and equal parts snark. Alexia is a strong female character and that came through with her actions. She’s not afraid to threaten people into shape with her brass silver-tipped parasol and perform some scientific investigation on the opposite sex’s…anatomy. She’s innocent, which makes her action more laugh out loud funny. You can’t help but sympathize to whoever has the misfortunate to be landed by Alexia’s steady and calculating gaze.

My second kudos goes to the setting and world Carriger devises. Set in Victorian London with multitude ruffled skirts and perfectly ties cavat knots, the author manages to incorporate the fantasy element of vampires and werewolves effortlessly. Everything makes sense! And thank goodness, vampires drink blood!

My biggest issue, however, was the political side. I was ever so lost in the biz. There are also several characters that I believed were not needed in the novel.

Overall: This was my first time reading steampunk novels and am I ever exciting that this was my first! Carriger definitely left a highly amusing, whimsically fun first impression!

Cover B+

10 comments:

  1. I LOVED, LOVED Soulless!

    I am eagerly awaiting the release of Changeless in a few short weeks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo I really need to read this one! I have yet to read steampunk and I'm thinking of starting with Soulless or Levithian. I've read great reviews of both but I think I will start with Soulless since I just read Spy in the House and I'm still in the mood for witty, Victorian England girl detectives.

    I also really love the covers. I've seen them for Changless and Blameless and they look great :)

    And all of us bloggers have been there at one point or another, where we keep starting and stopping the writing of a review. Then we gush =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is different from a typical steampunk novel. I loved this book though! I don't consider it true steampunk though. I can't wait for Changless to come out either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read this! It sounds entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen mixed reviews of Soulless so have been hesitant to pick it up. Rock on for such a positive review since it really is pushing me towards getting Soulless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was on the fence about reading this book (and the first part of your review had me worried!), but now I know that I must. Loved your review. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading this book right now and loving it! I also love her unique writing voice, it took a while to get used to but once I did, I'm loving how unique Alexia's perspective is! I have yet to encounter the political stuff yet but thanks for the head up! Wonderful review. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay! loved soulless. certainly a fun way to get into some steampunk. the political stuff you mention is a major element of steampunk. it will most likely be fleshed out more in the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked Soulless as well =D It was fun and kind of different. Great review!

    ReplyDelete