Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Thursday, September 16, 2010

By the Time You Read This, I'll be Dead

By the Time You Read This, I'll be Dead by Julie Anne Peters

Source: Personal

Grade: 3.8 stars out of 5
Daelyn was the fat girl that everyone tormented on. She's been on the butt of every possible joke, forced to attend fat camp where the campers majored in sadism, and molested by a group of boys. Daelyn lost weight but it doesn't matter if she's fat or thin she still feels filthy. Drinking ammonia and bleach she managed to lost her voice and gain a brace while her throat repairs after surgery. Cutting her wrist she managed to lost blood and gained herself on her parents' suicide watch 24/7. Now Daelyn is counting down her next and final attempt to make herself happy with the help of Through-the-light--an online forum and information website where one can learn various ways to kill themselves.
By the Time You Read This, I'll be Dead is fairly short--200 pages--but it still manages to put in quite a lot. BTYRTID (dang this is a long title) makes me want to vomit, in a good way. The novel has some of the most horrendous characters that you wonder can actually exist. But you know they do. The words are simplified and the sentences are short, but the story they tell are memorizing as they are horrifying.

I found the level of parental commitment to be surprising. On more than one cases I've read novels where as soon as the child does something...not pleasant, the parents ship them off somewhere. In BTYRTID Chip and Kim are holding out and caring.

There's also the boy Santana, who is homeschooled and one day sits with Daelyn on the bench. Are you looking for optimistic teens who are sick? Well he's uplifting without going on the verge of "THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW!" *bright smile* because you know as well as I do that there's a fine line between happy and insanity. Plus he's funny. However I do have questions with Santana that, I admit, seems irrelevant since the novel is about Daelyn, but why does he speak to Daelyn now? Has he seen her before? Will he make it?

Cover C-

By the Time You Read This, I'll be Dead has been out since last: Amazon / Indie Bound / Book Depository

6 comments:

  1. Nice review, Yan, but I'm not sure if this book is for me. Too much bad stuff going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting storyline...I might have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I wanted to let you know you have a blog award waiting for you on my blog: http://booklovingmommy.blogspot.com

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wondered about the timing of Santana decided to talk to Daelyn as well... but isn't it implied that she hadn't been to that school for very long? It's not like he's been watching her for years and out of the blue decides to reach out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard about this book and god it sounds depressing but wow...it must be quite a ride and journey into the girl's mind!

    ReplyDelete