Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Education of Bet

The Education of Bet by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

Source: Won ARC from Sarah (Sarah’s Musings)

Grade: 3 stars out of 5
Elizabeth could speak, write, and read as well as Will, but there is something that Will can do that she cannot: attend school. But Bet is determined and when Will confesses that he dreams to join the military rather than go back to school, Bet proposes that they switch places and in her case, genders.
Lauren Baratz-Logsted has a habit of underwhelming me with her books. The last book I read by Baratz-Logsted was Crazy Beautiful, stunning cover with a sinful synopsis, but it fell to impress. Now with The Education of Bet it has a pretty cover and an intriguing synopsis (I admit that I have several graphic novels with the similar synopses, but I cannot get enough) I was immediately excited. And I gave a half-hearted shrug once I finished.

In my past experience with first person narratives, I feel like they give the most extreme emotions. I felt like I can relate better to the main character yet with The Education of Bet there was distance between Bet and I. The pace of the novel is brisk and was written in mostly paragraphs detailing the adventure and what an adventure! An adventure, I felt, was over so quickly with not enough hoops to jump through and not enough trouble that makes a full-grin read.

A part of me still does not believe in the James and Bet relationship. It was so complete-180 for me that made me reluctant in the whole thing. Once I got over the quick turnabout I do so love their forbidden love as you will.

Quite frankly, however, The Education of Bet had nothing bad about it, least not a scene or subplot that made me tsk and shake my head over. It was just a lack of exuberance and energy that I thought I would read. There are two scenes that held great energy: the fencing and the climax, but those were two scenes out of many.

Cover B-
It’s pretty. It’s the jade dress.

The Education of Bet is out in stores: Amazon / Indie Bound / Book Depository

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't love this book but I do love an honest opinion. Thanks for the great review, Yan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like exactly the kind of synopsis I like! But I am also often underwhelmed by books even when there is nothing really *wrong* with them, they just didn't do everything they could have. I like the title, and the cover is pretty but it also looks like a lot of other covers out there right now.

    ReplyDelete