Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Friday, September 10, 2010

Past Midnight

Past Midnight by Mara Purnhagen

Source: author

Grade: 4 stars out of 5
Charlotte has never stayed at a town long enough to complete more than a semester at school yet her sister, Annalise, is determined for Charlotte to graduate and finish her senior. That’s why after their last hunt at disproving ghost their parents and Charlotte are finally staying a full year in a town, in a school! But this brand new house Charlotte has always dreamed of has a few hidden ghosts that came with her and they are angry.
I am easily scared. Like I get scared watching Scary Movie, which is meant more as a comedy than a scary movie, which is really pathetic in my eyes, but what can I do. So when I read Past Midnight pretty darn close at midnight with my brother popping in at random moments in my room I jumped. I freaked, okay. Quite honestly, readers won’t be too terrified but Past Midnight is still suspenseful and tension-filled even for those not scared of their own shadows.

Mara Purnhagen does her research and writes about thermal machinery and EMF readers like she’s been at the scene directly hunting ghosts. Purnhagen debunks her own theories and creates new opposition to give multiple and various viewpoints of ghosts/lingering energies.

The characters are dainty yet filled with a strong presence. The parents, thankfully, act like parents; friends act dotingly; sisters act like sister, and Charlotte acts like a heroine instead of a weak side-character. There is plenty of space left for development in the sequels to come, but there is enough depth that readers will not be too frustrated.

The hint of romance is tasteful and the ending of Past Midnight was that happily ever after I was looking for without that eye-twitching, gagging sweetness. There are still questions needed to be answered and characters that need to be clarified, but overall a good beginning to an interesting series (a sequel that I am definitely waiting for).

Cover B+

Buy Past Midnight: AmazonIndie Bound / Book Depository

3 comments:

  1. Mara sent me a copy of this, and I'm excited to read it! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... This book sounds pretty good! Nice review!

    While I'm here, I'd like to let you know that I'm hosting a contest over at my blog! Please check it out if you are interested in winning some YA titles!

    ~Brooke
    http://brookesboxofbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't put the book down which means I was up past midnight reading it and it was suspenseful! I could imagine all the places and people she writes about. One of the messages that I came away with is about how people deal with death and how people grieve and it seems Charlotte tries to help her friend deal with in a healthy way. I lost a friend in high school in a drunk driving accident and this book reminded me of the pain of any teenager when someone dies abruptly.

    ReplyDelete