Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The DUFF


The DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) by Kody Keplinger

Source: ARC from Carol

Grade: 3.8 stars out of 5

I think the description from the back of novel is a lot better than whatever I can up come with:
“Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her "Duffy," she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren't so great at home right now. Desperate for a distraction, Bianca ends up kissing Wesley. And likes it. Eager for escape, she throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with Wesley

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out that Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.”
I think Kody Keplinger hit a home run (and yes I am going to use a baseball analogy throughout this review) with this novel idea (bad pun yes?). She chose a topic that I am sure resonates with both genders: female and male. For me I always had this image whenever I compared myself to my friends: not the smartest, not the thinnest, not the prettiest, not the more artistic, not the funniest, and the list goes on and on. I can relate to Bianca because I am “cynical”, though I like to call myself a realist, and have a similar thought process.

The DUFF is epic win when it comes to snark. This is a rapid quick humor that will keep its readers on their toes and their mouths poise to be let open-wide and laughing. Grins ready? Read, settle, laugh!

Example 1:
“The guy is a man-whore. I can’t stand him. He sleeps with everything that moves, and his brain is located in his pants—which means it’s microscopic” (8, ARC)
Example 2:
“Most girls find me charming.”

“Those girls must have their IQs low enough to trip over” (41, ARC)
That’s not too say that Keplinger cannot write a gut-wrenching scene, because she can. She throws a curveball that I should have seen coming, but surprisingly didn’t. Maybe I was reading the sex scenes too much? Nah. But yes, readers, The DUFF is big on the ‘s’ word. Not just the word, but the act too. Copious scenes, but it’s not in-depth as you would find in the adult novels.

The DUFF overall has an extremely liberal stance on everything, so just to be safe: lotsa sex, lotsa cussing.

However The DUFF does get a little repetitive and the BTW, WTF, and OMG grates on my nerve because no one that I know of says B-T-W, W-T-F, or O-M-G. (Do people really spell things out?) I do wish that the characters were a little more flesh out and had grown more. It seemed as though many did not develope at all throughout the book.

Cover C+

Like the new cover a lot more than the old cover. Old cover creeped me out.



You can order your copy of The DUFF: Amazon / Indie Bound / Book Depository

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic review! I'm on an ARC tour for this and I can't wait for it to arrive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review! I pretty much felt the same way with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give me my brain back please. You've been borrowing a lot cus your opinions are scarily similar to mine ;P

    ReplyDelete