Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Espressologist

The Espressologist by Kristina Springer (October 27th 2009—Farrar Straus Giroux)

Grade: 2.7 stars out of 5

Summary: “What’s your drink of choice? Is it a small pumpkin spice latte? Then you’re lots of fun and a bit sassy. Or a medium americano? You prefer simplicity in life. Or perhaps it’s a small decaf soy sugar-free hazelnut caffe latte? Some might call you a yuppie. Seventeen-year-old barista Jane Turner has this theory that you can tell a lot about a person by their regular coffee drink. She scribbles it all down in a notebook and calls it Espressology. So it’s not a totally crazy idea when Jane starts hooking up some of her friends based on their coffee orders. Like her best friend, Em, a medium hot chocolate, and Cam, a toffee nut latte. But when her boss, Derek, gets wind of Jane’s Espressology, he makes it an in-store holiday promotion, promising customers their perfect matches for the price of their favorite coffee. Things are going better than Derek could ever have hoped, so why is Jane so freaked out? Does it have anything to do with Em dating Cam? She’s the one who set them up! She should be happy for them, right?” [from GoodReads]

Review: Eh. I’ve had some doubts about this book when reading the reviews. People call this book too short or cute. If you’ve read my previous reviews where I use the word cute, you’ll find that grade accompanied with it isn’t very high. And neither is this. “Too short” is the key default to this book. Before I could get a grip of this book and plant my feet firmly to the ground it ‘whooshed’ by and I’m left suspended mid-air. That and the fact I was confused by the lack of information helped a bit.
  • Jane=okay. Nothing really pops out about her. She’s the typically girl-next-door that cuts class more often than naught with an atypical idea. Surrounded by her friends she fades out into the shadow which is something not really good when she’s the main character.
  • Em=er. Liked her. Didn’t like her. She’s a good friend to Jane most of the time but when something good happens to her she’s too focused on that.
  • Melissa and Ginny=predictable. It’s a slapped into your face predictable. Melissa is the evil school bully, Ginny is the sidekick that doesn’t really go well with Melissa but still hangs out with her for some apparent reason.
  • Cam=typically boy interest. Smart, hot, funny, great smile, caring, sweet. Here’s a hint at what he says about Jane: “she’s much smarter, stronger, and more beautiful than she realizes”—pg 117.
The Espressologist has a fun and interesting concept one that would do well if it expanded more. Add some cinnamon sass, some energize shots, some rich, smooth, mocha! I’m not sure if it was just me but I would have liked to see some cracks in this happily-ever-after book.

Overall: Stopped by Wired Joe’s for 5 minutes then headed back to my regular coffee shop.

Cover: B+

P.S. Did anyone else really really liked Derek for some reason? And was anyone else annoyed by the all cap words?

5 comments:

  1. Awww, too bad! I was hoping this one would be good! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is certainly interesting for me to read that blog. Thanks for it. I like such themes and everything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting. I want to try this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading this one atm, my expectations for it is starting to slip as I continue to read it. And gosh darn it, I was so hyped up for it because I love the concept! D:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the premise of this one (plus, great cover!), but I too thought it was a bit light on substance. I enjoyed it as a fun afternoon read, but I wasn't as attached to the novel or the characters as I had hoped.

    I enjoyed your review - you put your finger on some of the things that bothered me (I also didn't like how it was never addressed how frat boy was taking advantage of her crush on him...). I've linked to you I've linked to you here.

    ReplyDelete