Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Friday, March 11, 2011

The Fallen: Raziel

The Fallen: Raziel by Kristina Douglas

Grade: 2 stars out of 5
Allie Watson always has an issue with time. But now she doesn’t have to worry about it anymore. The next thing Allie knows after walking into the street is sexy, brooding man telling her that she’s dead. Allie will not take that as an answer.
The Fallen: Raziel was a very dramatic read with Biblical context. I found the novel nicely set up as the Fallens being the ferrymen of the dead and the state of being neither dead nor alive. However, while the settings were wonderfully done I have some issues with the characters.

Raziel is hardheaded and a destructive character. Down is up and I don’t know where I stand with him. He can be kind but most of the time he plays with Allie’s heart. Or perhaps Raziel doesn’t know where his own heart lies? After this last lover’s death (as Raziel lives for a very long time while his lovers eventually die) Raziel doesn’t want to suffer the heartbreak again. So instead he turns to celibacy and being cold-hearted to strangers.

Until he met Allie.

Allie is smaller than curvier than her coworkers or the women walking down the streets of NYC in their heels. Allie writes Biblical mysteries with a side job so she knows a thing or two of the Fallen’s history. It works well with the novel in a big coincidental kind of way.

I don’t quite understand the relationship between the two as they seem to really hate each other’s guts, but lust for one another just as much. The sudden shift to affection had me a bit angry at the sudden development. I later accepted it as the novel progressed, but at that moment, the book let me down so much.

I also couldn’t understand Azazel, the head of the whole group, and why he was such an ass. The action/fight scenes ended as quickly as it started. Just an explosion of carnage and blood. The entire novel had a very slow, molasses-paced, start that hardly went anywhere.

Overall I’m not sure where I stand with this series. Usually the first book in a new series sets the tone for the rest. If the rest of the series is an indication of what The Fallen: Raziel started, then I am afraid that I will no longer continue the series.

Cover D
FYI: Raziel's a blond, but his wings are kind of midnight-blue
Source: review copy from Pocket Books
Published: 2011, January 25

2 comments:

  1. Awww! What a bummer! I won this book from Goodreads and I was really looking forward too it!

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! I'm really excited and PRAYING for a non-cheesy beautiful cover.

    Also, I think the guy on this cover looks like the guys who go to my gym. HAH!

    ReplyDelete