Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Future Imperfect (rant)

Future Imperfect by K. Ryer Breese

Grade: DNF
Ade Patience can see the future and it's destroying his life. When the seventeen-year-old Mantlo High School student knocks himself unconscious, he can see days and decades into his own future. Ade's the best of Denver's "divination" underground and eager to join the heralded Mantlo Diviners, a group of similarly enabled teens. Yet, unlike the Diviners, Ade Patience doesn't see the future out of curiosity or good will; Ade gives himself concussions because he's addicted to the high, the Buzz, he gets when he breaks the laws of physics. And while there have been visions he's wanted to change, Ade knows the Rule: You can't change the future, no matter how hard you try.


His memory is failing, his grades are in a death spiral, and both Ade's best friend and his shrink are begging him to stop before he kills himself. Ade knows he needs to straighten-out. Luckily, the stunning Vauxhall Rodolfo has just transferred to Mantlo and, as Ade has seen her in a vision two years previously, they're going to fall in love. It's just the motivation Ade needs to kick his habit. Only things are a bit more complicated. Vauxhall has an addiction of her own, and, after a a vision in which he sees Vauxhall's close friend, Jimmy, drown while he looks on seemingly too wasted to move, Ade realizes that he must break the one rule he's been told he can't.


The pair must overcome their addictions and embrace their love for each other in order to do the impossible: change the future.
Second rant of the week: Future Imperfect (which by the way I love the title though I keep adding an –s at the end of Imperfect unintentionally). What seems to be so freaking amazing turns into one giant headache.

Ade gives himself concussions so he can get a “Buzz” from seeing into the future. Why oh why does Ade not suffer any lasting brain or body damage? The things he put his head through is astonishing! The way he can walk away from almost everything is equally amazing! Who the eff would jump off a freaking roof, land on their head, and can GET UP FROM THAT. And then people can accept it! The kid is jumping off roofs and people are pissed that Ade’s up to his usual self! Are you kidding me? The kid is obviously not stable. His mom also lets him get away from that because she thinks he will see the second coming of Christ. All I can say is ‘really’!?

This is all before the “girl” comes into the picture. Gotta love that instant love-ol’-lust meter that boils my blood.

I skimmed through the rest because I wanted so badly to throw the book. A lot more action-y towards the end. But Ade was still purposely trying to knock in the head to see the future so I don’t think I’ll reread the novel again.

Source: publisher for early review
Cover B-
Published: 2011, April 26

6 comments:

  1. If i saw a kid walk up from hitting his head on cement after falling fromm a roof, many times, i think id have to be put in a little white room...

    Fantasy is all and fine, but when it crosses the line into 'no way that can possibly happen even in alternate dimensions' then its just ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oy, the head banging doesn't seem like something I would want to read. Shame because it did sound like it could be interesting. I'm also not into the whole instant love thing either. Thanks for the honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first review I've read for this book (which I've been desperate to read) and I'm so disappointed that you couldn't even finish it. I still plan on reading it, but I have a feeling I may be ready to throw this one against a wall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, yeah. I will NOT be reading this. Or else my book would get some serious concussions as well as I throw it against any hard surface I can find. What the *EFF* are these people thinking by publishing this piece of crap? I mean SERIOUSLY. It's one thing to bend reality...but COME ON. NOBODY would EVER in a million years *EVER* be okay with someone who is giving themselves concussions. And they're serious...oh god. I just am so fucking angry even THINKING about this book now and I haven't even read it. GRRRRRR. I'm like physically shaking right now I'm so pissed off because there are authors who would do anything to get published and yet this shit is out in the market. REALLY!?!?!?!?!? Wow. Maybe if I smoke crack and write a book I'll get published too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh, the summary makes it sound like the book is about people worrying over his actions.

    And that's why you should never trust a blurb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm surprised you gave it the grade you did from the review you had! Gotta love it when nothing makes sense in a book.

    You should stop by and talk about it. Ironically enough I just posted about suspension of disbelief.

    ReplyDelete